Mycology -- Tricks of the Trade

I shake it up. I want the wedge to be covered by grain

2 Likes

I was reading that some of you had issues with cow manure as a sub.
I had great success with using cow manure.
I collected it from my neighbors field mixed in some wheat straw, baked it in a turkey bag mixed in spawn (birdseed blend) used popcorn a few times too.

tubs to lbsā€¦ been doing it like that since 89ā€™. Trich was present 1 out of 25 runs +/-.
Ran Malaysian and Ecuadorian cubes mostly.

2 Likes

One thing people donā€™t realize when using manure is that you donā€™t need to use as much grain as you normally would in a coir based substrate. You can easily overload the sub with nutrients that way.

3 Likes

I agree. Too much of anything can be bad.
I also think one needs to know how old the patty is when field collecting. I usually would look for recent deposits. Like more than 3 days but less than 7 days old. Also when I collect seemed rather important.

One time I thought my tubs were finished so I took them and dumped into my compost pileā€¦about 10 days later my son who at the time was 7 or 8 told me the tarp had lifted off the pile by mushroomsā€¦i was astonished my leftover sub ended up inoculating my compost pileā€¦lbs babyā€¦lbsā€¦
Tried it again and trich overtook the pile rendering it useless.

1 Like

Heres some tricks for the trade

/thread
/thread
/thread

5 Likes

Mushroom Cultivation Guide And SO1.docx (1.4 MB)

this is my old tek much has changed since Iā€™ve been doing this, but thereā€™s a lot of good recipes in this mushroom growing 101 op i wrote up a few years back

ask me how to crossbreed genetics if youā€™re into that kinda thing
here a pic of a very apparent cross breed

6 Likes

Some cows get large amounts of antifungals and antibiotics that may affect substrate quality. Not all cows are happy cows!

5 Likes

Have you ever driven through cowshuitz?

Instead of sterilized bulk spawn, I just use compost or casting based bagged potting soil.

Itā€™s 1/4 spawn bag mixed in to 3/4 bagged soil. I believe the beneficial microbes are why havenā€™t seen a contam in the bulk spawn in quite a few runs.

4 Likes

This is very true. My neighbor is an organic beef farmer so I felt safe using his shitā€¦pun intended.

3 Likes

what does overloading the sub with nutrients do?

1 Like

Raises internal temperatures, which can cause bacteria to take hold.

IME You need to adjust incubation temperature to nutrient levels, no matter what species youā€™re running. I personally do sterile supplemented bags with straw pellets, coir, manure, and bran in my bags then inoculate each 5 quart substrate with 1 cup of grain. Using roughly 5% spawn rate they colonize in 14-18 days. Yield is 5-6 dry oz per 5 quart bag, or 20-24 oz per quart of grain.

2 Likes

You are using bran as a nitrogen source? I used dried powdered milk and TVP at 0.5-2% by dry weight (.1% to 0.4% nitrogen total weight) with good success.

4 Likes

For cubes I use bran or wheat middling. For gourmet species I use beet pulp, bran, middlings, soybean meal, and soy hull. I typically shoot for 1% N content with gourmet species.

3 Likes

Friend got these wondering if the black is okay on the stem

Does he know what species of mushroom they are?

It could just be spores, those look like they were harvested pretty late.

1 Like

That could literally mean 5-10 minutes lateā€¦

2 Likes

You think itā€™s black mold then?

Looks like spores to me, but the dude who dried them would know for sure.

If thatā€™s cracker dry, Iā€™m 99.99% sure thatā€™s spores.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know what they are and he doesnā€™t either. Lmao hope itā€™s not black mold