Mycology -- Tricks of the Trade

Soak your berries for 12 to 24 hours. You want to activate the endospores in side the berries and kill them in the cook.
Use gypsum in the soak to stabilize the pH. I used three cups into a large Turkey frying pot.
I used coffee in the soak as well. I brewed a pot of coffee over and over using the same coffee grounds and used the liquid not the grounds in the soke.
Your berries as a whole will expand, so leave some room at the top of the pot.

After they are done soaking, it’s time to dry them (with steam).

Ladell the berries and soak into a smaller pot.
Bring that pot JUST to a boil, and ladell the berries into a a colander. The key here is surface are, you want to spread the berries up the sides of the colander. NO BERRIES ON TOP OF OTHER BERRIES. The steam evaporates most of the water. You dont want them too wet. Use you fingers every few seconds to move them around exposing wet berries. You want to be able to grab a handfull. It should kinda feel wet in your hands, but not leave behind any water residue. I remember using a paper towel test until I got the hang of it.

Once your berries are “dry” fill your jars, leaving the appropriate head space.
The lids should be in place and tops of jars covered with tinfoil, to protect your filter from getting wet.
Make sure the jars are off the bottom of the pressure cooker.
Have the appropriate amt of water in the PC, not too much to boil over the tops, but enough to finish the cook.
Cook at 15psi for 90 minutes.
Let the pressure come down in your cooker, and repeat and repeat.

4 Likes

Then you gotta do what you gotta do!

I’d look for the mid sized fruits. There are soo many things to look for. How they harvest, big hole vs no hole. Late vail opening, potency, size, pin set whole tub vs sparse fruits.

4 Likes

Any tips on how to make my own laminar flow hood?

1 Like

You can actually buy them on aliexspress for 400 buckroos here you go,
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPXAMNv

4 Likes

I was checking one of those out the other day but wasn’t sure if it was true laminar. All the places I read said you need a 6 in thick filter with like a big squirrel cage fan.

I was also confused because it said it uses 800 watts . That’s more than both of my tents combined lol I wonder if that’s a typo or something

I pretty much did the same as cyclopath, except I watched Ebay (a gamble) for my filter.
If I remember correctly, its about 4 or 5 inches thick. I just matched the suggested CFM to the filter and made a nice well sealed box. Need a pre-filter that can be replaced. You can use a Rheostat Switch switch if you fan is too powerful.

When its all done. You should be able to hold a lighter up close to the filter and the flame not blow more than 45 degrees, preferably slightly less.

If you have bad spots in the filter, you can use silicone to mend small holes.

Larger the better, if you plan on doing a lot of jars. This will save you a lot of time later in the game.

Iv seen a lot of good deals on this site for flow hoods.

1 Like

wish someone will toss in tips about cyanescens instead cubes

maybe that’ll be my job bc im determined

I order petri dishes w agar ill play w that and lice cultures.

My main thing is what the easiest way to fruit these

4 Likes

Could you tell the bad spots in the filter with the lighter trick ? And what kind of fan did you use? I think an in-line would be smaller than a squirrel cage one

1 Like

The smallest inline iv seen is 4" and that’s exactly what I used.
The lighter is your inspector, it tells all.

1 Like

Nice thread !! I like to case my sub few days before finishing incubation…! Also after fourth flush flip the patty!!! And harvest before veils break!! I dry in the sun or make a little wind tunnel!

@StoneD cyans you want to do outside… Start now … n maybe you’ll get something in the fall/winter

@Thetetraguy … woop woop!!

14 Likes

Cyan/azure can be a lengthy endeavour. Never heard of anyone doing indoor. But it can be well worth it once a mycelia mat is established in a location. You can have a harvest every year at the same place. Light maintenance once you get it going.

Cyan seams…hearty too. Seen it out compete dirty jars, dryish wood, crawl up glass and on jar.lids and send mycelia tendrils searching for what to assimilate next.
Cyan/azure; spore to agar(october), agar to grain, grain to wood (50/50) then eventually all wood outside(spring). Alder is a preferred wood chip to feed the beast. Outside there is no need for sterility, only to start it off inside.
Place down fresh chips in spring, cover with innoculant, fresh chips, then thin layer dirt and then grass seed. Come back in fall
Legendary potency…

3 Likes

That first pic IS INCREDIBLE!

4 Likes

Thanks… Got super lucky with a multi spore syringe… Cambodians… You know I definitely isolated that culture!! :joy:

6 Likes

Your monos, are all the FAE holes at the top of your tubs?

4 Likes

1/4 holes every 1 1/2 inches all the way around the tub 5" from bottom… my sub layer sits right under the holes covered with micropore… An your traditional 1.5-2" holes around the top… lightly filled with polyfil…

How do you run yours ?

5 Likes

1 3/4" holes all round.
4 holes just above substrate level and 2 at the top.
I adjusted how dense the holes were stuffed with the poly.
Interesting you use micropore for the bottom, definitely keeps the poly fiber out your shrooms.

6 Likes

I’ve actually been researching how to grow them inside. So far I’ve successfully grew my mycelium and poured it out in tray w small casing of 50/50 manure straw. I spray it down every other day and exchange the air. I’m about 30% colonized of the casing in tub one…one it reaches 60-80% mycelium growth on the casing ill pull it out the dark for fruiting.
Right now I’m playing around w casing. The 50/50 cow to straw seems to work best as its more dry and fluffy. Ill try several different casing. To bad u can’t just toss the mycelium into casing bag like u can cubes.

I post pics tomorrow

I have petri dishes w agar otw maybe I can make mycelium syringes to cut down on contamination opening the jar to put mycelium coveted rye berries into the new jar

7 Likes

Awesome!! Keep us posted… interested in your project! If you can grow cyans with poo that would be cool! Also I think you may have your casing and substrate mixed up… Happy growing!

Don’t quote mi but it may be more successful to grow your cyans more like oysters than cubes…

6 Likes

How do I have the casing and substrate mixed up

Substrate was rye berries i spawned the spores inside jars filled w rye berries. After its full colonized you pour out into a tray and case it w manure based casing bc copelandias I hear must have it. U want the mycelium to break thru the casinf still in dark stage before fruiting.

I basically do my cubes the same way just in bags and w much deeper casing mix

2 Likes

Sweet… yeah man that sounds amazing… from what I overstand… The rye is your spawn… The poo mix is your substrate and your casing Is a thin non nutritious layer put on top of your substrate to promote stronger flushes. It adds moisture and creates a micro climate for pinning at the surface of sub. I’ve even heard of some using wax paper to ensure even pinning… Could be wrong I’m no expert…

6 Likes