My experience with Indofab

On June 14, after another member’s recommendation, I reached out to @Soxhlet asking about having Indofab do up a custom membrane housing for me with a 67mm ID.

We requested that all shipments happen through our Fedex account.

We talked on the phone on June 17. I was told that my housing would be ready in 3 1/2 weeks. For the record, I wasn’t pressing for a fast delivery - this is the timeline that was set by Soxhlet.

I received an invoice the same day after our call and paid it in the afternoon of the same day - June 17.

On July 14, 4 weeks later, I was told that the housing was going to be “at latest next friday” - July 23.

It was shipped via Fedex on July 28, 6 weeks after the invoice was paid.

It arrived August 3, in what we internally agreed was the worst packing job we’ve seen on anything this large/expensive.

After we opened it up, we discovered the compression fitting on the inlet was fucked.

Here’s what we said at the time:

I think the nut was put on the fitting only finger-tight, started to back off, and then got a good hit on something. There’s a small chunk out of the end of the box.

Talked with Soxhlet, he said they are changing how they ship housings and he agreed to send us a pair of new compression fittings that we would get a local fabricator to install. Payment for these was not discussed.

After the fittings were shipped, we received an invoice for just under $100 two fittings and UPS shipping. If I were the one who shipped the housing, I would have eaten that cost but whatever.

The fabricator charged us $200 to fix the fitting situation.

It comes back, we move on.

I get an email from IndoFab telling me they shipped me the wrong gasket. The correct one is in the mail. They want me to return the one they sent. Full disclosure: it’s still sitting on my desk in an envelope because I fuckin hate UPS and I almost never get out of site before everything is closed and I keep forgetting it.

When it comes time for me to put my fucky size Evonik membrane into the housing, it won’t slide all the way in.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

It turns out that the ID of the housing itself was done to spec.

But the ASME flange that was welded to the outlet side of the housing has an ID of just under 64mm, and the Evonik just will not go in without potentially damaging it. And it’s a $4500 membrane, so I’m not going to hit it with a hammer harder than I already have.

So now the housing is at the machine shop two buildings down the road. I’m glad they like us and are good about “hey we need this fixed today.”

So to make a long story short:

• I paid for a thing.
  • It arrived fucked up, way later than promised.
  • I ate a bunch of costs to un-fuck the fuck up instead of shipping it back and waiting for indofab to fix it.
  • It wasn’t actually made to the specification I provided - though I definitely should have checked this when it first arrived. I did a gentle trial fit of the membrane and it started to slide in and I didn’t press further when I got a bit of resistance
  • Now I’m eating MORE cost to un-fuck the fuck up.

By my math, I’m going to have paid about 20% of the original MSRP on fixing fuckups.

I’m gonna have to go with a bottom-line review of “I can’t recommend this business to other people with similar requirements.”

5 Likes

That was where you went wrong. Literally everything probably could’ve been solved at that point if you reached out.

1 Like

You mean like where I

?

In that conversation where we talked like humans, we discussed that I had two options:

• ship the thing back, wait for them to fix it, and then return it
  • deal with it myself

Option 1 wasn’t palatable because that meant that I was waiting a completely unknown amount of time before I’d get my housing back, and considering how much later than the original quote it was in the first place, I didn’t really want to take a chance on it sitting for a long period of time.

1 Like

I’d decided to just accept having to eat the first one as “shit happens” and was going to not do a post about it. Just accept that it was a not positive experience - as happens - and move on.

But then when I had to pay to have it fixed AGAIN because it was out of spec to the point of being unusable, I felt it was necessary to explain the experience I had.

4 Likes

When chads try to get mechanical things like this happen. I can’t believe that soxhlet sent you a housing that wouldn’t fit the membrane. Far more likely that your lack of “hands on” experience is to blame.

And the first situation is normal shipping woes…

The written specification provided was “67mm ID, 600 PSI, 2540 housing”

I specifically explained in writing and on the phone that this was because Evonik uses a slightly larger than standard membrane.

Believe what you want, but my mechanical engineering degree suggests that I know how to use a pair of calipers to measure things.

An ID of 63.9mm is definitely a fuckload smaller than 67mm, regardless of the chadness of the person using them or not.

10 Likes

I would be pissed. Indofabs should offer you some loot back to cover your cost. A fucking invoice for the fittings would have sent me off, that shit isn’t your responsibility untill you get it. Learn to pack your shit. I can’t believe people are defending Indofabs on this. We all make mistakes, how you handle them speaks volumes.

2 Likes

In Indofabs’ defence - as I mentioned in my original post - Soxhlet did admit when this happened that the packaging was substandard and that they were going to a more robust crate for housings instead of a cardboard box.

Which is part of the reason I was so pissed when I got the invoice - that and having to pay UPS - but I was willing to - and did - initially accept eating that as the cost of doing business. Shit happens, etc.

2 Likes

Hi,
Sorry that you had a bad experience, we would have repaired the item for you but your time line would not dictate it. I understand the urgency for repair and I agree that repairing the item locally was the right move to fit within your project time line. As for the length of time it took to manufacture the housing, there were a lot of technical challenges to designing this housing. To produce the housing we had to machine necks from sch 80 pipe to accommodate the cup seal diameter, then weld the seal into the neck of a weld flange. After welding we needed to re machine the flange and neck assembly back to size. Welding shrinks and deforms the tube, so this must be performed before welding the neck/flange assembly to the body of the membrane housing. After that we had to remove the last weld with a carbide burr at the front. It took a few trys to get this process right.

This was the drawing I was sent for the housing, you got a 2540 module so the cup seal size compressed on the drawing is 63mm on dimension c. None of the membranes have a outside diameter of 67mm. I am happy to stand behind my work, if you want to send it in for repair we would still take care of you.

Do you have a measurement of the inside diameter currently?

I get that, and had you told me 6 weeks up front, or communicated that to me when you were going to miss the quoted deadline, I likely would have been fine with it. All I saw were a bunch of missed deadlines.

I think that drawing probably doesn’t account for the spring seal on the end of the housing - Unless I’m mistaken, the Synders I have are 63mm ID and even if they were perfectly round there is no way that Evonik was going in there.

I think with that spring seal fully open it’s closer to 66mm, though the membrane is now locked away in the housing and covered in solvent so I won’t be measuring it any time soon.

None of the ones on that chart do, no. There are others that I am considering for R&D that require larger ID housings than the Evoniks. The 67mm was for future proofing because this is going to become a test skid after we get a bunch of production through it.

I do not, it’s already buttoned up and pressurized. The shop brought it damn near the ID of the housing, so I believe it’s in the ~66.5-67mm range.

1 Like