MVP 150 with 100% Propane

Has anyone ever ran an MVP 150 with straight propane before? What’s your recovery rate compared to butane?

1 Like

I have. That’s a loaded question. A lot of variables. It really depends on several main factors.
-Heat, evaporation rate.
-Pump flow rate.
-Heat exchanger condensing temp
Plus much more.
I have a full User Testing Report I’ve concluded on the MVP150 cascaded with the Iced.Tech “Tube N’ Shell” heat exchanger.
I’m going to release it tomorrow. I’ll tag ya.
:call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

Gang Gang,
iLL Nye

6 Likes

Dope, I’d appreciate that!

1 Like

MVP Testing Report Final PDF.pdf (59.1 KB)

Attached is my concluded User Testing Report of the MVP150 cascaded with the Iced.Tech Tube N 'Shell heat exchanger(Largest unit they offer). Both utilized in correlation with my IronFist EX20 Hydrocarbon modular extractor. Testing parameters were concluded over a 6 month testing period under rigorous conditions. Pushed it to the max and was surprised with the results. For an active recovery set-up, I’m impressed and will continue to use this set-up while adding additional cascading influences/ machinery and record further data.
-KW usage still needs to be finalized.

Gang Gang,
iLL Nye

7 Likes

That report is super interesting. I am surprised by your recovery rate though. Have you calculated if you’re transferring enough thermal energy to get the desired lbs/min? Are you using just a coil or running water through a jacket vessel? I’m designing a system around the 18 CFM MVP and want to get around 4.5-5 lbs/min. Maybe that is an over estimate though.

1 Like

Nice stuff @iLLnyeTheShatterGuy
I have never considered turning down the co2 diaphram pressure… I have always just set it at 150 psi

1 Like

A combination of both.
Internal heating coil in the center of the collection vessel(non-jacketed), accompanied with a jacketed shatter plater at the base(both set to temp outlined above). Concluding the relative thermal conductivity of the solution wasn’t available during this experiment due to no thermo probe in the collection vessel solution. To calculate conductivity we would need both spectrums of energy(Ie. + & -)(Heating source & cooling source/solution/solvent) This would just conclude the thermal energy being transferred throughout the collection vessel. You’ll still need to add several factors to your calculation as well. However optimal you’re solvent evaporation… you’ll need a 1:1 ration of solvent condensed. Thus, being able to truly conclude an accurate flow rate at the pump itself. Then adjust accordingly. Not saying a 4-5lb active solvent recovery rate is impossible… just much more to that conclusion than thermal conductivity of “point A”, collection vessel. Would definitely be a great starting point for an optimized recovery system. Keep me in “the loop” :wink: when you conclude your design. :call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

iLL Nye

3 Likes

Exactly how I was operating it as well. Then thinking… eFF it… let’s push this set-up and see what we can do. I can’t attest to what this variance might do to the integrity of the pumps internals over a larger span of time. But throughout the 6 month testing period… roughly 1/3rd(2months) was ran at the advanced testing parameters without fail. I would feel comfortable running at the 30psi variance for an extended period of time. :call_me_hand:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

Well my thought process is that the internal solution will be approximately under the boiling point of the gas (100% propane in your case). All kW’s of energy from the heat transfer of the SS304 will mostly go into the latent heat of vaporization and you can just subtract the approximate temperature of the input gas multiplied by the specific heat of the gas and the mass flux. *Note in my calculations I accounted for the pressure drop due to the high CFM of the pump to get a more accurate result.

So that should give you a good heat transfer rate into the system based on your approximate surface area. On the cooling end you basically need to match the latent heat / second to condense the gas at the given mass flux and pressure.

So I optimized my system with about 15% of extra kW of cooling power as well as a high surface area with a “safety factor” of 5 to condense the gas.

Not really sure what I can do about estimating the mixing rate of the liquid. I assumed it was high because the lquid is boiling and probably has a very high convection rate. Do you have any ideas about that?

Have you ever looked into using the jacket of your collection vessel to use as a condenser to take some of the kWs from a chiller? Seems like a good idea that no one is doing really. It should just be a basic equilibrium system I would think.

1 Like