Murder Hornets

We’ve seen a few of these buzzboyz around the farm. They look like giant hornets and are called Asian Giant hornets. They were not extremely aggressive, but yea… I had never seen one up close before until recently… changed my perception of bees forever.

5 Likes

Well this is going to haunt my dreams tonight

4 Likes

got em here in the north eu aswell last year

Well I’m gonna have nightmares :sweat_smile:

Are these the ones I’ve caught boaring holes into my wooden deck…they are HUGE look just like this

1 Like

Has anyone here worked with 1-octan-e-ol ?

Mushroom alcohol.

It attracts biting and stinging insects, and is the characteristic “mushroomy” musky woodsy smell used in artifical flavorings and scents

Hence its name “mushroom alcohol”

5 Likes

I hate those things. They scare me a bit

Nancybotwin i would protect you bu, definitely :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

There is a documentary that shows them devastating a honey bee hive. Its brutal and the carnage is extensive.

The stings are also supposed to be compared to being stuck with a red hot tac.

Folks are super concerned of the impact those will have on our bee colonies and ag overall. They will be a big deal, and not just because they are big and scary.

4 Likes

These fuckers just popped up on my news feed…

10 Likes

Savages :100:

2 Likes

1-octan-3-ol

That seems like a death wish depending on where you live. I swear bees are attracted to some of the essential oils I put in my diffuser. If I crack my window by my front door it ends up getting sucked outside and I regularly come back to bees literally nuzzled into the crack in my front door presumably trying to get in. Nice fluffy honey bees though, not much for hornets/wasps yet. Yesterday I had to poke one just to get it to move from the door so I could get inside. If I recall correctly bees really like certain terpenes, geraniol comes to mind.

That’s a dude for sure bro.

9 Likes

What the fuckkkkkkk!!! I just teared up a little :/. Ima kill every hornet I see from now on just in case.

4 Likes

I saw this guy in Singapore a few years back. Different species, but equally large and terrifying. It’s wingspan was at least 4".

2 Likes

Japanese honey bees fight back, unlike European honey bees. They set an ambush for the hornet scout, then ball it to suffocate it. They seem to know that if the scout makes it back to the hornet hive and summons the other hornets, that will be the end of the bee hive. Killing the scout is their only chance.

7 Likes

Yeah just a couple years ago in Maine a beekeeper returned to find 10,000 bees not only dead but mostly all decapitated. Imagine walking in on that. Horrifying;(

Shortly after they located both a dead and living murder hornet specimen in the same town, which is the creature they’d suspected

I try to tell myself Mr. Miyagi was just there having a truly shitty day…

2 Likes

They actually dont suffocate it, they vibrate and raise their core temp 2C above what the hornet can handle… then it cooks to death.

22 Likes

Mostly, yes. But it looks like the high co2 level plays a part as well.

3 Likes