Multiple material columns

I’ve been wondering this for quite a while now and was hoping somebody could shed some light on this inner debate. If I’m running to material columns can I shower the first column with a top flooding and then have the bottom of the column push up into a Bottom Flood for the second column like this?

3 Likes

Yes but you would need a lot of solvent and a large collection

2 Likes

might be better to bottom flood the first column

3 Likes

I see. The reason I was thinking of doing it the other way was because then the solvent would come from the top of the last column and be right next to the feed in for the CRC. Do you think that that doesn’t necessarily matter so much? thank you very much for the response by the way

Should be fine. Won’t be as pretty with a long hose but should require less solvent.

2 Likes

I use a manifold on top and bottom of 3 columns. I run each column individually, into the collection, then can heat each column, as they are jacketed, and use a hot vapor push from colum to colum to aid in recovery.

What is your reason for running these in series(or in line) like that as opposed to parallel? I’m mixing in electrical circuitry terms…sorry.

6 Likes

Why not make a t joint with ball valves to run into the collection, this way you flood both columns simultaneously & recover both at the sa,em time as well, instead of pushing already extracted oleo resin into a secondary column which then causes degration if the oil you just pushed into it? ( this can also be used for you sauce x sauce guys)

I can set this up on dual 35lb columns that run into a 200lb collection. All recovered in under 1.5m hrs with mvp pump.

2 Likes

just do one at a time.
less solvent, and more consistent rinse on both columns.

5 Likes

I would do a continuous flow . So basically flood one column dump it and as it is dumping have it simultaneously recovering right into the top of your second column . This way you have fresh solvent without any solute( oil) in it giving you a better efficiency in extraction . I do this with a single column so basically as soon as solvent is leaving the column fresh solvent is coming back on top works wonders ! @Cheebachiefextracts sorry didn’t mean to respond back to you just wanted to give the op some suggestions was an accident

2 Likes

Having a independent tank on each column would most definitely give a even soak & the 35lb columns I ran were atlas from purge on a roto stand for maserating. Vac columns down & collection evenly soak, move to recovery after switching quick releases & continue.

Yes but after you flood the initial column you have a oleo resin:solvent solution. Not clean solvent recovering to the 2nd column… the only way I see looping clean solvent to the 2nd column happening would be a setup in the sense of what I typed above as you would be able to hook a siphon to the collection, run through seive then into the top of that column after evaporating the solvent from the oleo resin to have clean recirculated solvent.

3 Likes

I can’t say it enough. Thanks to you all for the input. Real clean and concise. I’m going to have to mow this one over for a sec.

3 Likes

Run the two columns independently , you will over extract the weed in the first column and need a ton of solvent. Set it up so you can run the two columns “round-robin”. You may want a bypass valve on that C.R.C , a top recovery option for the columns, and a filter dryer. Look into jacketed columns and solvent tanks as well.

4 Likes

:smirk::smirk::smirk::metal:t3::pray:t3:

Cool thanks. I have a 3 by 48 column with hemispherical caps for my molecular sieve and my CRC is mounted on top of my collection chamber. The cap for the CRC is a six-inch hemispherical lid with multiple options so I’ve got 80 on the top of the CRC which has three valves on it so I can completely bypass the CRC by turning one valve and opening another and have it flow into the overfill Port of the collection chamber. I also have multiple valves on my columns so I can do a pop recovery on my column which feeds into the CRC if I like it too or I can bypass that as well. As far as the round-robin thing that’s what I figured I was supposed to do and that’s a very good point about just the amount of solvent alone would be ridiculous. Cheers thanks much.

1 Like

Thank you for asking this question! I am planning a rack system, and these are nagging questions of mine too, although I was planning to do both columns simultaneously. With each column dumping into a single output, (with valve, to allow for soaking and simultaneous dump).