Moving gas from shipped tank to sanitary tank

Just got some pure n butane from shop bvv . In the process of pushing it out of bvv tank and into my triclamp tank, but its taking for ever. Figured the bvv tanks had diptubes but it’s going so slow it seems like instead of pushing it threw the dip tube I’m just distilling it off? Anyone no if these shop bvv tanks have dip tubes?

No diptube. Flip the tank upside down.

Hanging it gets extra points.

17 Likes

Thanks

heat the tank and boil it out. leave whatever residue in the tank. cool your destination.

5 Likes

No diptubes

The small ones do not. Flip it upside down…

So I like to leave my tank right side up In a 15 gallon cooler that has a small volume of water recirculating at all times. The moving water provides enough heat to distill out of the thick carbon steel tank. The tank distills out of the carbon tank and travels through a dirty collection chamber which will trap all the high BP solvents and mystery oils that happen to distill over. I also have about 8 ft high by 3/8" hose to provide some reflux for the distillation into the solvent tank.

3 Likes

Did you evacuate your tri-clamp tank prior to transfer? If you didn’t, the butane has to contend with the 15 psi partial pressure the air puts up.