More work, same pay for security clearance

I just need to vent, and due to the nature of what we do, I can’t post this just anywhere.

Here’s the situation: I’ve been in cannabis for a few years in Canada; I went to school to study just before legalization. My first job was an eye opener; coming from a science background and working in biotech for over a decade I was appalled at the ‘lab’, and their complete lack of knowledge and experience both with cannabis and science.

A year later I finally found a better place that had a true lab. Not a year later, they ran out of money. This was Dec 2019.

Now covid hits, while unemployed. I managed to find a job in cannabis after months of searching, but it was a low salary for nights. But, I needed a job.

It’s been 5 months, and while still under probation I got my security clearance up to date (back before legalization it was a different system, but since I was already in it it was quick) so my boss saw this as an opportunity to flip me to nights. I did agree to work nights, but I haven’t gotten a dime for all my efforts. Without me and my clearance, they could’t even have anyone in the building. So this is my reward… more work, for the same pay. This cursed ‘Golden ticket’ doesn’t seem so worth it anymore.

My plan is to approach my boss and have a frank conversation once im past my probation. If he doesn’t deliver, I’m tuning out and looking elsewhere; though in this pandemic pickings are slim…

3 Likes

bro… I will tell you this. I would just keep my mouth shut till after covid. I dont know if canada is any better than the US with covid but people if they have a job currently should be happy. Im suspecting this to still get much worse as far as the economy goes. I think we really wont see the full effect of this year till spring/summer of 2021 and by that time… Its gonna be bad.

Real Estate and stocks are still rising. BUT i fear its out of people optimism. I fear when the bank have the opportunity to evict people many people will lose there homes. i think more business are certainly gonna go out of business if they dont get relief again. I think commercial real estate is never gonna be the same. Companies are realizing they get 30-40% more efficiency working remote. I see a good 50% after covid staying remote. That means all those commercial offices will remain empty…taking out that sector. Commerical real estate speculators usually have some residential too. That will be the crutch they hold on to… Tourism like my state have been obviated. Those people are gonna have to do something. Lots of those will lose their homes and shit too.

Most of the world has seen some sort of stimulus to covid. When that runs out, expect a shit storm.

If your job is providing the basic needs your doing better than 20-30% of the world population.

Sorry if this aint what you want to hear but you really should be blessed you found some sorta work in the industry you want to work in…even if it is security.

Good luck man!

11 Likes

Gotta agreed with killa, time isn’t right to be out there looking for work. I wouldn’t say don’t don’t keep you eyes open for an opportunity, but a job is a job right now.

Also agree that we haven’t seen it get bad at all yet, a big market correction was due. And it’s just beginning really.

1 Like

Being an SCH in Canada is a super easy way to get your foot in the door with LP’s. While I do agree that this is a super shitty time to be looking for a job, you gotta know your worth. I definitely think you should request either a night shift premium, or a raise at the least. The majority of layoffs in the Canadian cannabis industry have been creative and marketing teams from what I’ve seen, production workers are still in demand to some extent.

Also I have to ask, is it really more work for the same pay or is it the same work on a different shift?

1 Like

Fuck that. Follow your soul. You are inherently being led to a greater purpose. Use your skills to serve your community and slowly shift your daily focus into creating value for others. Flood your mind with positive reinforcement from people like Tony Robbins, and come back here for validation if you need it. Make sure you have a cushion for the next few months, make a plan, and go for it. If you fall, try again. If you fail again, try again. Don’t stop trying. You will never get rich working for someone else. You can do a lot of good with a little money if you focus. Let’s connect, I sent you a message. Good vibes headed your way.

6 Likes

Inherently being led?

I don’t think any of that puts food on the table, especially during a pandemic when 30-40% of jobs that hold over 45% of all salaries are being done from home now.

Do all of that stuff in your personal time while getting that paper to continue to grow in your personal time is worth more than attempting to grow while trying to find a job and having bills come in without any money to pay them

4 Likes

Never said don’t work to keep food on the table. Life is either happening to you or happening for you - depends on how you look at it. The odds of being born are 400 billion to 1… so build your cushion and go for it. Why not?

1 Like

Just find another job before you walk away. Until then just keep on trucking at your current gig.

10 Likes

You taught me a new word homie. Thank you.

5 Likes

Not for nothing but it sounds like you knew it was a night job before taking the offer? If I gave someone a job offer with the understanding that there would be two months of daytime apprenticeship and then it would be a night shift, I’d be pretty pissed if that employee turned around after the two months of training and asked for more money. Maybe I’m interpreting the details wrong though

5 Likes

Yeah, I was a little confused after rereading. It looks like they trained this person for nights for 5 months, and then after that they put them on the night shift.

Not sure what the problem is here beyond wanting more money.

1 Like

I mean I’ll fall back to what I’ve said before about how to garner more pay: make yourself indespensable. The number one reason I give someone a raise is insurance against going somewhere else and the cost of replacing them. Not to say I don’t legitimately show my people a ton of appreciation for their hard work and performance, but what makes me get out the checkbook is when I realize it’s very cheap money to pay someone 10-15% more than they would be paid elsewhere to not have to sort through 20 other less competent applicants and spend a bunch of time training them up.

Not all organizations realize this for sure, I’ve seen some BAD employers who refuse to accept this premise. But, for the most part anyone in a hiring position who’s had to deal with weeding through lousy employees will understand this.

It’s also worth noting that unfortunately it is harder to be recognized if you’re working on a different shift than the decision makers. It goes a really long way though if they return the next day and there aren’t any messes to clean up after. Especially if they had someone else in that position prior to compare against lol.

One more thing: if an employee ever threatens me saying things along the lines of “you need to pay me more or I’m going somewhere else”, I always respond that “if you think you can get paid more somewhere else then it’s not fair for us to keep you here”. I’d like to think I recognize my employees but I have no room for someone who resents working for me or doesn’t give 100% regardless of the circumstance

10 Likes

Like most people I also wouldn’t suggest leaving until you have something concrete. You see smart and proactive, I’d just keep honing your skills and upping your certifications and knowledge so when an opportunity does present itself you’ve got tons to bring to the table to justify your pay. I’m in Canada often and have a few friends signing up for lps. If you have some capital an outdoor LP is easier to get approved. Once approved the transition to gh or indoor is much simpler than applying for straight indoor.

4 Likes

I my worth, and I know I’m not getting it. That being said, times are tough right now for many. I’m very thankful I have a job, and even more thankful it’s in my field. But they’re taking advantage, so I’m doing it back.

If anything, my job has gotten easier being on nights. Easier in that I have less to do; just ensure the machine keeps running. I’m far more experienced and qualified to be an operator, but this is the job. I’d like to do more; SOP writing, inventory control etc, but I’m perpetually tired on this shift, and have no motivation. So it’s taxing that way, and is simply not a good fit.

I have had some luck in job hunting, and have a 2nd interview with a promising startup. So fingers crossed

2 Likes

Thanks, I needed to hear this. This has been the hardest struggle of my life, even before covid. But I’m determined, and want to make a difference, and I know I can do this and do it well.

It’s not the fact that I was switched to nights. Though, my boss admitted the offer was low for nights, I needed a job so I took it.

My beef is I did all the work to get certified, even after my boss said he thought it was a waste of time, and once I had it he didn’t thank me, or offer compensation for it. I literally could not be working nights without it. It’s valuable, and should have given something in return.

I remember at some point in school I fininshed the test first, and then they made me do more? Oh I hated it, same at work. I bust my ass and the lazy guy gets paid the same? That type of thought makes you a loser. Get over it and strive to be the best and things will happen. If they arent then move on from that employer.

3 Likes