Moonshine still or SPD for Feco?

Distillate?

Flavorless?

Isn’t there an entire additive market aimed at removing the bitterness from edible products containing distillate?

1 Like

There are all kinds of weird things people sell. Distillate is odorless and flavorless generally. When added to foods or for consumption it has no flavor and the food tastes as it should. Not like rotten weed leaves baked out on a oven of some lazy person making food with who knows what starting product. If you are buying distillate that tastes like ass you should stop buying it instead of adding things to the mix further.

I will agree that distillate does not taste as bad as RSO. But it is definitely not flavorless and you can absolutely tell when it’s been added to a product if there are no bitter-blockers added

1 Like

No that’s not true. You may be referring to poorly made stuff or the foot smelling distillate that comes off sloppy wipers.

Thca does not have a odor. When you decarb it, you are only losing carbon dioxide I believe. This compound present or lost on the molecular cannabinoids group has no odor.

The odors or flavors you may be referring to are from leftover mixed fractions. If you can distill to a very high potency, the remainder compounds that may smell are no longer present. If you wipe the product under vacuum often you get a runny, gel like smelly product due to mixed fractions being taken.

Also in a cookie or a brownie or whatever based on concentrations present they are usually well below 1/4 of a gram as a 250mg dose isn’t being sold regularly. Made at home yes up to 500mg per edible content. You cannot smell or taste that low of a concentration.

I think you’ve encountered some filthy distillate, my greatest sorrows I have for you. I think you should try again with some other distillate. Myself and many others don’t taste anything of distillate in edibles.

I think what you are referring to is the powdered sugar substitute that are not sweet. Some companies spray and mix distillate into these powders becusee it can be dosed on powder form, making baking measurements easier on a home scale when they are doing small batches. I have seen and heard many people do this because some other chef showed them how to and that’s how they know to take say 100 grams of distillate and put it in one to four powder concentration and every lb of brownies takes a half of a cup scoop. It’s a old method used when people would powderize distillate. Now lab techs generally just melt it down into the butter. Butter blockers are probably used with bad distillate made from bad systems that just produce bad distillate.

… what?

Where did ‘powdered sugar substitute’ come from? I’m talking about bitter blocker products like TruMask.

Are you saying you run your wiper with no vacuum?

Yes, THCa is odorless and flavorless, but it’s not THCa anymore after you distill it.

If you’re going to spend 300$

Get a temp gun to get your product out of the flask too.

I would get the 5000ml setup cause then you can do about a gallon at a time
but I circled the 3000ml setup because of your budget

2 Likes

I’ll be 100% honest if you got gallons and gallons at a time save yourself the trouble and buy a rotovap.

3 Likes

That’s where I am. I thought FECO would be superior due to having the terpenes still in it and everything else. I’m not opposed to changing my plans due to being able to make a better product. Why is distillate better when it doesn’t have the terpenes. I’m in Oklahoma and we don’t have the greatest around. I have a vacuum funnel purchased and that’s it so far.

Not making a medical claim:

Capsules and cutting them with honey seems to help. I was doing 1:1 rso to raw local honey in 00 capsules for a while and when you taste honey that’s when the rso effects usually hit and took away the bitterness.

As for the Gastrointestinal Issues could it be the person or just the fats and lipids working through your gut, picking up the partially digested garbage in our gut flora.

I’ve observed on a personal level that acidophilus helps with the G.i. Issues.

I haven’t taken my own rso creations in a while but I still have been dedicated for the past few years to taking probiotics/acidophillus. I used to get the walgreens ones but now I get the Swanson brand capsules.

1 Like

That being said, op should learn to vacuum filter with 250ml to experiment with.

2 Likes

Well I think cleanest product = best product is the mindset there.

If I can be honest rso alone in capsules even without the honey was good but only in capsules.

When I used RSO in my magic butter machine and made edibles all you could taste was chlorophyll and nastiness. No brownie taste, just ughhhh fuckin’ nastiness.

With disty though, it seems like the general consensus is if it’s made wrong or of its partially degraded or burnt, it will have an off taste potentially lowering value in the final edible because of bad taste.

I’ve never made disty but I’ve eaten dispensary chocolates and you can tell it’s infused but you can’t directly taste it. My favorite one was the chocolate bar I got from the Berkshires, best edible I’ve ever eaten in my life that was the only chocolate bar in my life where I only tasted the creaminess of the chocolate and no cannabis at all.

That’s where I’m at right now. I think I’m going to save and do it better.

2 Likes

Have you looked through Optimizing your RotoVap yet.

An itty bitty buchi is an awesome tool…and they can be had for a steal if you know where to look (rumor has it you’ve been pointed in the correct direction).

An Google-fu many don’t use

Site:”

As in “rotovap site:Craigslist.org

$200 in Joshua tree

3 Likes

I have. I think I’m going to save up and just buy what I need first. It makes more sense than to struggle or learn on things I won’t use long term.

1 Like

That probably depends on temperament and goals…many of the folks around here actually enjoy the challenge of solving problems with parts on hand.

good luck with your adventure…

2 Likes

I use my personal rotovap all the time, one of the best cannabis investments I’ve made. I just ran a few ounces of trim through it this week in my spare time. Now it’s into the vac oven for a few days to reduce any residual ethanol down to where I at least can’t taste it.

Be careful buying used, but you can save a lot of money if you get lucky this way. I’ve had to return too many pieces of used lab equipment that were sold as functional but didn’t arrive that way.

4 Likes

The other great part about a rotovap is you can do more than just ethanol in it.

:octopus:

1 Like

Same here.

If anyone is interested this same seller has a brand new 20 l reactor for the same price as the roto- $200.

Not sure on the quality, but the price is right.

3 Likes