Molecular structure of cannabis derived lipids and waxes.

Hello everyone! Long time listener, first time caller here. I have a question regarding winterization byproducts that some of you brilliant and experienced folk can hopefully shed some light on.

I am especially curious about the unique molecular identities of the compounds removed via the winterization process. Does anybody have information regarding molecular weight and/or structure of the undesirables? Just want to start a discussion and thread for any info regarding this. Really what I want to decipher is chemical structures, to further my understanding of what is actually happening in that winterized solution.

Any information is appreciated. Any direction you can point me in for further reading is appreciated. Any knowledgeable individuals that can speak on this topic?

1 Like

This post lists a few waxes pulled via co2. Looks like even at low solubility parameters with co2 you’ll end up with some C30 chains.

2 Likes

Yes, I have determined their identity through MS testing. they are primarily long alkane waxes like octocosane.

5 Likes

I am wondering about the possibility to formulate a full spectrum CO2 oil by reintroducing cannabis derived lipids (probably after a little bit of refinement has been done on the lipids to remove any particulates).

Let me know your thoughts!

P.S - I forgot to mention this would be solely for edible consumption. I want to see if using cannabis derived lipids will help increase bioavailability and may even add more to the user experience due to the entourage effect.

Lipids in lungs is bad
Lipids in stomach good

6 Likes

Good catch, I am solely speaking in regards to edible consumption.

1 Like

There is a post somewhere where many compounds are identified of the extract
Worth looking into

6 Likes

Why would you not just use supercritical CO2 and keep all those lipids from the start?

3 Likes

I plan on utilizing both Subcritical and Supercritical conditions while running my CO2 extraction. I will be keeping all the lipids however I am choosing to reintegrate them so that I can refine them a bit using filtration just to get any undesirables out. I also plan on doing some remediation on the cannabinoid fraction as well just to clean up the color and taste a little bit.

Anybody ever made candles or creams or something using these waxes from winterization?

Tried soap, got black coarse lava rocks instead of soap. Wanted to do candles with the old sauce jars and wax but I think it would still need to be cut with a more stable candle wax.

Distilled the fat to make it blonde again and gave it to someone for beauty product applications, she put it in her freezer and ghosted me.

2 Likes

I’m thinking to mix it with beeswax and maybe some coconut oil. Would just need to figure out the ratios.
I wonder if it will have a canna scent to it still?

Why do you need to clean up the color for edibles?

Just so it doesn’t cloud things up. I also make agave and mct tinctures so the cleaner the better