Molecular sieves

Hi, so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on if I should buy a molecular sieve or not. I have a small extractor that only holds up to 2 ounces of dry flower at a time, I bought an expensive tank of isobutane from bvv and I don’t want to ruin it with water from my extractions. The only sieves I can find cost more than my whole extractor and I’m not trying to spend that much. I wanted to build my own but I read elsewhere that you must use hemispherical end caps and I can’t find them anywhere in the 1.5” size. I’m really trying to build this sieve for under 100$ and was wondering if anyone else has made their own? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What’s your budget?

@Killa12345 might be able to help ya with the steel parts

1 Like

I’d suggest stepping up in size and running at least a 3x12 sieve. Cost will be pretty close and you’ll have something you can still use if you decide to scale up.

3 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264652753126

You can buy filter driers that have a molecular sieve solid core.

Each one can handle about 6# of solvent before either being recharged or replaced and they’re 13 bucks a pop.

Edit: my cls is a qp at a time some I’m somewhat familiar with how the smaller rigs work.

5 Likes

Or, just buy some hemi caps and diy your own sieve. Rigs that’s are our size do not need big sieve columns.

3 Likes

How much volume of solvent, say if you had an expansion trap in your roto before condensing (16”x6” glass), might you be able to dry before having to bake them?

Not sure how comfortable I’d be with using a refrigerant filter dryer for anything you’re going to consume. I assume there’s a bunch of forming oil and heavy metals and such in there

6 Likes

I run a 1.5" x 12" sieve just fine. Run it w every run and never run into any water issues. I recharge them once month sometimes every couple months. All depends on how much you run

I run 3-6lbs a month through 1lb rig maxed out

I may move up to hemi lids 1/2" npt instead 1/4" not hemi lids when I rack mount her for faster returns

I’d agree w @SidViscous. It’s to easy to build a sieve from spare SS parts and run 3a beads in it you know clean

6 Likes

1.5x12 or even 1.5x6 is plenty for his system but he can’t find 1.5” hemi caps. I did a quick search and can’t find any either, can anyone provide him a link?

Doesn’t cost much more to just step up to a 3” though. Parts are available and beads are cheap.

1 Like

Bvv sells 2" hemi lid w 1/4 npt

I think I got my 1.5" hemi lids w npt threads from @Killa12345

if killa cant supply,

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-bowl-reducer-fnpt-b3115mp-g150-fnpt-050.html

2 Likes

I have hemi 1.5” caps with mnpt 1/4” on them.

I have smaller 6” and 12” spools too. And all
The parts for a smaller sieve. I suggest going a hair above what you think just to insure your big enough on the sieve. Sucks being too small

9 Likes

Nope, they are zeolite 3a cores.

Edit: I’ve cut a few open, and nothing wiped out. I’m sure if you tested them, there’s some traces of oil and such, but I am not that concerned. And if you are run some liquid solvent through em and that’ll take care of it.

How are you recharging your beads?

1 Like

Xtractordepot actually has a really good deal on some 3” hemi caps with filter plates right now.

3 Likes

Wow…thats a really good deal for xtractor depot Even though i sell the same caps with mnpt so you dont need a hex adapter for $30 each but hey i think $100 to $50 is half price. LOL Thats good marketing too…

6 Likes

They are 1/2” MNPT. I’m not the biggest fan of Xtractor Depot but that’s a pretty solid price for a hemi cap with a filter plate. There’s 2 caps in the cart so $25 a piece.

Didnt realize it had a filter plate. Sorry mine don’t but I have 1/2, and 3/8

1 Like

In the oven

2 Likes