Molecular sieve alternatives

That’s what I was getting at wit a larger diameter sieve.

I use 3 sieves, i was just saying when i havent yrs ago i never had a problem. I add the solvent into a column of beads and then have 3 separate sieves for the vapor. I would not run without one but im gonna guess i run more than you so it might not be a big of a deal to you but when a days run is 10-15k the beads are like dropping pennies and not picking them up

2 Likes

So here’s my procedure. The night before I do my runs I pack all my columns with the fresh frozen and put them in the freezer. When you’re ready to do your runs have the whole system already vac down pull out your columns hook everything up and pull vac on the columns. I use a dry ice and alcohol injection coil which gets the solvent plenty cold and then inject. I will allow the columns to fill all the way up and do a short soak and then dump to the collection. After everything has pushed through I cut the line to the collection and do 3 5 minute ring outs. After that I cut the run and recover as you normally do. If the whole system is completely vac’d out and everything is Run cold and fast you shouldn’t be pulling any moisture from anywhere. If there was any moisture in your gas it would freeze in the coil on recovery or injection in the coil

8 Likes

yea but i def dont want any moisture freezing in my coil and locking up my run forcing me to break open lines. im just wondering what the best overall way to go is. as of right now i still use a 4’‘x24’'sieve with half inch line from collection to coil. mainly wondering because i see it being extremely difficult to add a sieve if introducing falling film recovery

Well that’s my point If you run it in the way I described there won’t be any moisture in your gas

add a sieve before and after the falling film? Jacketed dessicant

How much solvent do you leave behind in your bio? Enough to trigger a gas sensor?

1 Like

After the 3 ring outs there isn’t much left at all coming into collection. So that’s when I call the run. I don’t have an exact number for you though

I’m not sure what a ring out is. Doesn’t sound like a common term

But if you’re not pulling all the solvent out of your biomass, that’s the reason you get away without mole sieve, hands down. My socks don’t get pulled until they are dry of solvent. So I use mole sieve.

Doubly true with fresh frozen.

6 Likes

Maybe hes referring to a column volume flush as a ring-out?

And yea, alota water comes from drying the biomass step - that not everybody does and is a key detail that should be added to the other molsieve/water in butane discussion if its not been already.

1 Like

I thought J12 using his ring out term was something like this…this is my end run method

Cut feed to collection once feed stops an acceptable rate of flow. Butane will continue to pool in the material column. After a couple min, 5 min in J12 method, you open th feed again and get a bump of liquid solvent. You then cut the feed after you get the available liquid butane, and let it continue to pool in the bottom of material column. After 5 min, you open the feed and move the pooled butane into the collection again…and so on

I could be off track…but maybe not.

5 Likes

A ring out is when you pause your run for a few minutes after you clear everything into your collection and then nitrogen push any remaining solvent. Well then your probably letting your columns thaw out to much before you call your run. Also pulling less desired oil in the process so if your doing that then yeah you can pull moisture

7 Likes

Yes that’s it exactly

3 Likes

After 3 5 minute ring outs I see no increase in oil or significant solvent return so that’s when I call the run

7 Likes

I was always told to u the beads w gas unless it’s something like ethanol, heptane,acetone…but what do I know

1 Like

ok thats what i assumed as well.

i run passive and deal with this as well. this is why im about to switch to passive/active so i can incorporate a hot vapor loop to aid the phase change in my column and get that last bit of tane out quickly.

1 Like

Its the way, and savings add up quick on saving solvent. Just up ya sieves and ya gold.
Come to think of it, I’ve never ran hot vapor dry cycle on (formerly) fresh frozen, always on dry material - just never felt right to do on live, would need alota sieves.

Any yall ever do hot vapor solvent reclaim on fresh frozen?

could you hot vapor loop into your column jacket and get enough btu exchange to cause phase change ?

But what about terpenes that carry over during recovery? We both know that is going to happen. I mean, the clear terps are sorta that. I’m going to lean hard on that there is going to be aromatics to carry over and cause contamination.

3 Likes

this is absolutely true, as terps are low bp solvents as well. of course some are recovering over. more reason for a sieve of some sort. but i also have been looking into other methods of cleaning up my vapor path. DABS (design and build supply) has this very neat post collection expansion chamber that collects lots of terps and droplets that tried to follow the vapor path during recovery. i use a 12" dip tube on my lid to prevent this myself but i think his addition is a really smart step towards keeping your gas cleaner and having a better recovery overall.

2 Likes