Molecular sieve alternatives

put them below the material columns to catch anything that comes out of the tank

i use a long diptube into my collection from the lid to help prevent this personally

its all about the vapor path and how it flows. adding a sieve creates a canister build up point creating a bottle neck for the vapor to flow. whereas if the vapor were to go straight to a condenser it would be a more efficient exchange of energy.

plz explain further then !!

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t you be able to get around this by just having a sieve canister thatā€™s significantly larger than the inlet and outlet?

Like 6" sieve to 1/2" fittings?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was getting at wit a larger diameter sieve.

I use 3 sieves, i was just saying when i havent yrs ago i never had a problem. I add the solvent into a column of beads and then have 3 separate sieves for the vapor. I would not run without one but im gonna guess i run more than you so it might not be a big of a deal to you but when a days run is 10-15k the beads are like dropping pennies and not picking them up

2 Likes

So hereā€™s my procedure. The night before I do my runs I pack all my columns with the fresh frozen and put them in the freezer. When youā€™re ready to do your runs have the whole system already vac down pull out your columns hook everything up and pull vac on the columns. I use a dry ice and alcohol injection coil which gets the solvent plenty cold and then inject. I will allow the columns to fill all the way up and do a short soak and then dump to the collection. After everything has pushed through I cut the line to the collection and do 3 5 minute ring outs. After that I cut the run and recover as you normally do. If the whole system is completely vacā€™d out and everything is Run cold and fast you shouldnā€™t be pulling any moisture from anywhere. If there was any moisture in your gas it would freeze in the coil on recovery or injection in the coil

8 Likes

yea but i def dont want any moisture freezing in my coil and locking up my run forcing me to break open lines. im just wondering what the best overall way to go is. as of right now i still use a 4ā€™ā€˜x24ā€™'sieve with half inch line from collection to coil. mainly wondering because i see it being extremely difficult to add a sieve if introducing falling film recovery

Well thatā€™s my point If you run it in the way I described there wonā€™t be any moisture in your gas

add a sieve before and after the falling film? Jacketed dessicant

How much solvent do you leave behind in your bio? Enough to trigger a gas sensor?

1 Like

After the 3 ring outs there isnā€™t much left at all coming into collection. So thatā€™s when I call the run. I donā€™t have an exact number for you though

Iā€™m not sure what a ring out is. Doesnā€™t sound like a common term

But if youā€™re not pulling all the solvent out of your biomass, thatā€™s the reason you get away without mole sieve, hands down. My socks donā€™t get pulled until they are dry of solvent. So I use mole sieve.

Doubly true with fresh frozen.

6 Likes

Maybe hes referring to a column volume flush as a ring-out?

And yea, alota water comes from drying the biomass step - that not everybody does and is a key detail that should be added to the other molsieve/water in butane discussion if its not been already.

1 Like

I thought J12 using his ring out term was something like thisā€¦this is my end run method

Cut feed to collection once feed stops an acceptable rate of flow. Butane will continue to pool in the material column. After a couple min, 5 min in J12 method, you open th feed again and get a bump of liquid solvent. You then cut the feed after you get the available liquid butane, and let it continue to pool in the bottom of material column. After 5 min, you open the feed and move the pooled butane into the collection againā€¦and so on

I could be off trackā€¦but maybe not.

5 Likes

A ring out is when you pause your run for a few minutes after you clear everything into your collection and then nitrogen push any remaining solvent. Well then your probably letting your columns thaw out to much before you call your run. Also pulling less desired oil in the process so if your doing that then yeah you can pull moisture

7 Likes

Yes thatā€™s it exactly

3 Likes

After 3 5 minute ring outs I see no increase in oil or significant solvent return so thatā€™s when I call the run

7 Likes

I was always told to u the beads w gas unless itā€™s something like ethanol, heptane,acetoneā€¦but what do I know

1 Like