Molded Rosin Coins

I have been recently hearing about rosin coins molded into specific shapes on the west coast. I am not too familiar with rosin coins as all the rosin I usually get is very terpy and runny. It is made from very high quality fresh frozen, washed, freeze dried, and then pressed.

Are these coins made from dryer material (dry sift then pressed) and/or inferior material? Is the rosin just dried and cured longer and if so, doesn’t this lead to degradation of terps etc? I am very curious because my company is about to begin producing rosin. We wants to produce top shelf bubble hash rosin, but were also interested in forming our hash into cool molds but I wasn’t sure the 2 went together. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

I saw flower rosin bears the other day.

Again, flower rosin…

I wasn’t interested in trying but the shapes were cute. Rosin bears from northwestcut

25 Likes

I fucking love this

4 Likes

The dudes in the hash lab made pot leaf ones with our rosin. @THChemist drop the pic my dood. let the fam see what greatness looks like.

1 Like

as far as I know its just process, press, homogenize, weigh out and stick it in a silicone mold of your choice. We have done it with dry sift I believe but if you let fresh frozen cure in the molds that should work as well. getting them out of the mold is the tricky part. Good luck!

2 Likes

Reminds me of Rickys hash coins

25 Likes

I did this years ago. Way before vac ovens were getting popular

2 Likes

wouldn’t a freezer make removing them from the mold trivial?

I didn’t mean you should freeze them. I was saying the fresh frozen bubble hash could probably just be pressed then take that pressed material and place it into the molds to cure. the consistency of freshly pressed rosin is very different once it cures and solidifies. Or at least that’s what I have noticed. Others on here probz have way more experience and better techniques than I can supply.

2 Likes

Rosin made from fresh frozen 100% changes consistency from press day to sale even if it is kept at room temp. I have seen a jar fresh live hash even sit out at room temp on accident and the next day it was gelled out into a super rock hard shatter like substance. Warmed it a bit in our hands and it was easily pressable and moldable.

Rosin coins can be made by warming up the rosin some after pressing, mixing with a dab tool, and filling the molds with it. Then heating the molds slightly with mats and letting them cure in a fridge or freezer quickly, as to avoid capturing moisture. Then take it out and package it.

If you’re familiar with the jar tek and how to manipulate rosin to reach different consistency’s is pretty easy.

Not an expert with rosin, but getting there hopefully! Hope this helps OP

6 Likes

To start, I’ll reiterate @BananaBannabis , rosin begins as an oil with varying viscosities. You can press it to be runny, or very stable. Right off the press it should have a shiny, slightly translucent surface. Once it has cured it becomes opaque and easier to break apart (crumbly). There are different schools of thought on the reasoning behind the change in consistency. I would argue that the THCA is crystallizing and forming a structure similar to traditional crumble. I don’t believe cured rosin necessarily contains less terpenes, if cured properly.

So your process is going to be determined by your press parameters, and quality. If it is firm enough to handle, then taffying the rosin will speed up the curing process. I believe this process promotes the crystallization. Basically if you weigh out little balls of precured rosin, they can be pressed into molds. Over time with very minimal heat the rosin will form fully to the mold. The time it takes to fully cure is strain dependent.

You can also perform mechanical separation and carefully melt the isolated THCA into molds to crystallize. @simpsonsolventless on IG regularly makes both types of molded rosin with recombined high terp fractions.

19 Likes

Great info guys. This is really helpful and am excited to get started. Fresh frozen is in cryo while we waiti on a couple more things to come in, then we will be ready to wash and press. I’m going to document and share the process as I go. Looking forward to more great feedback and help!

5 Likes

Post in the solventless section your progress!

3 Likes

Rosin coins are made by pressing cbd / cannabis (dry sift or fresh frozen) to extract rosin, which is then molded into shapes using silicone molds. The key to successful molding is the consistency of the rosin, which changes from a runny to a more solid form during the curing process.

Quality depends on the starting material and the extraction process. Molding involves warming the rosin to make it pliable, filling the molds, and then curing in a fridge or freezer to solidify and maintain the shape. The process does not necessarily degrade terpenes if done properly.

Hope thats helpful.

1 Like