Mixing live soil

Some people let the water sit for 24 hours before use with or without a submerged air stone.

I run my tap water thru a cheap (20$) home depot “whole house” filter with 3/4" in and out. U can rig it up to go inline with a garden hose and still get high flow rates with no problem(5gal/minute) Get an activated carbon filter or better yet a kdf85 insert i think theyre sized 2"x10"

This will remove chlorine and chloramine etc. This filter is also the first or second stage in a R/O setup so you could add that on after the fact

3 Likes

Heres a book that shows you how to make your own natural insecticides

7 Likes

Thank you. I’ll look at home depot when i go there today, what exactly would it be, like name brand?

1 Like

At the depot the brand is GE, lowes carries a different one. This specific one is $20 at home depot and they usually have it in stock. They sell almost the same thing for $50 and up so u have to make sure its the right one.

Put 2 in line and the first one has a sediment filter and the second has a carbon filter.

Throw in a couple brass adapters (3/4" female garden hose x 3/4"MIP) on the input and a (3/4" male garden hose x 3/4"MIP) on the output and u have urself some custom gear on the cheap

3 Likes

ive never done proper analysis to see whats going on with the nutes in the res. Im putting water in a big thing and then moving it into another big thing with aeration and I think it may remove the chlorine?

1 Like

It would if you had chlorine, but most water has chloramine, which takes closer to a month to dissipate.

1 Like

my water report doesnt show chloramine I dont rely on the bacteria i use semi organic liquid nutes.

According to the chicago tribune, the city of chicago still uses chlorine, if that is your water.

thats what oim saying- no chloramine out of lake michigan.we dont need that shit

Or you have an antiquated municipal water treatment system. Chloramine is an upgrade from the perspective of the water company for the simple reason it is harder to remove.

its not antiquated its just good clean water. i catch salmon right near the water tratment plant. theres monster smallmouth bass too never got sick from water that i know of so I guess its clean enough without he chloramine.

I’d steer clear of manures for your mix. You don’t know what the cow was eating and those seeds are throughout.
Sterile peat moss for your base.
I like glacial rock dust for neutralizing ph,
Lots of meal. Crab meal bone meal blood meal.
Worm castings, Gaia green 4-4-4,
Blend of guanos,
Bark
Lots of perlite

Regular compost teas (molasses, Gaia 444, casting and guanos with water bubbled for 24 hrs)
Top dress with castings guano and gg4-4-4.

4 Likes

Holy fuck I haven’t seen that one, I has the one that was ultra low cost agriculture
Saw master cho and youngsung in murphy, oregon once, and they’re pretty beastly.

1 Like

Peat moss was my next option. My work has tons of that, I’ll check out selection tomorrow when I’m there.

I’ll post brand too

1 Like

There’s a huge supply chain blockage on peat moss from Canada i.e. Premiere and Pro-Mix because of the shitty economy lately. Michigan peat is dirty and has fungus gnats right out of the bag. I didn’t see anything like lime for pH control on your list.

I’m sticking with coco as an alternative.

3 Likes

I have dolomite lime for that

Leveling sand for bugs too

1 Like

glacial rock dust. i like it more than dolomite

4 Likes

The top 8 inches of a heavily forested and wet area. That’s it.

5 Likes

So brand topsoil is timberline I believe and the peat moss is idk

Everything else i have eyed out

Leaf mould is fantastic as a starter culture for KNF/JADAM for its microbe diversity.

3 Likes