Mixing CDT and Botanical terps with BHO and Distillate

Add more terpenes than and use different hardware and hemp derived terpenes. Try 7-9% terpenes

@QBD420 has amazing hardware.

I’ve used iCells, QBD carts, iKrusher, just kinda does it . It is better with CDT though as you mentioned. Wouldn’t adding terps though be the opposite approach? Headaches nose burn etc

Sorry to derail thread we can move to PM if needed my brother

1 Like

Depends how much you’re adding. Above 10% is where I draw the line.

What are the size intake holes on the carts? What kind of terps too?

Generally, with the wax carts im not really adding terps but maybe a drop if I’m feeling it. I don’t centrifuge the terps from my wax which I should. * Thought the consensus was less with CDT

1.5mm rectangular in the ceramics
2.0mm in the other carts
Obviously QBD is five 2mm holes
Liberty v9 .5 tank was probably the best one. Ran the thickest cart I’ve personally made

What’s your experience friend ?

1 Like

I’ve used QBD carts so far and had good experience with distillate and 7% HDT

Haven’t had issues like you mention

what powders u using id use b80 bc neutral ph…but t5 topped w silica i bet would work also

This is some bho that was ran drybice cold come out dark black red tasted weird was so old was naturally decarb bc wouldn’t sugar or anything tried for months stayed the same even after I crc it…after crc looked like disty

So if this worked then why wouldn’t disty. My disty was the pretty color before dissolving in everclear for removal from carts…then it went dark dark red w black tint in bulk…dark red in carts
I used t5 topped w silica and de bed for that old rerun

If it worked I don’t see why disty wouldn’t work

How’d it go and what powders u use

I’m doing it this next Tuesday. Going to use b80.

1 Like

What makes you think terpenes are safer to inhale than an equal amount of medium chain triglycerides? I’d argue that adding more terpenes is a much greater threat to our airways.

Lipoid pneumonia has never been associated with vaping MCT, in case you were going off that old story. The only recorded case of lipoid pneumonia from inhalation of MCT was an infant who was given an experimental nebulizer treatment that used pure MCT as a carrier. Not only was this pure MCT oil but it was an immunocompromised infant. Pneumonia and weakened immune systems go hand in hand. Just like how we don’t get regular pneumonia every time we take a shower, there is not a single piece of evidence suggesting that we would get lipoid pneumonia inhaling 2 droplets of diluted MCT oil over the course of days or weeks. If this were true, people would be dropping like flies every time they cooked something in oil.

People don’t realize that many of the impurities already in the plant have already been directly linked with many cases of lipoid pneumonia (not just one case like MCT). These were largely in elderly patients (again,weakened immune systems). Still, you don’t hear about people getting lipoid pneumonia from inhaling unwinterized concentrates because as with everything it’s dependent on the amount.

Vaping straight up MCT oil or half MCT like the old pre-CCell carts from 5+ years ago may be of concern, particularly to those with a weakened immune system. Still, there is probably not a need to use MCT at all anymore when there are plenty of cannabinoids that can be used to yield that same result. I just definitely don’t think “add more terpenes” is a smart approach at all. I’d say that CBC, CBT, and CBG are the only ways people should be “thinning” out their oil at this point if they can’t figure out how to stop clogging.

5 Likes

I never knew about any child inhaling it. I’m just being smart, in my opinion, by saying maybe vaping coconut oil vs 9-10% terpenes isn’t bad. Terpenes start to cause lipid pneumonia at higher % in continued use to my knowledge. I used to do a 10% ratio, toned down to 9%, 8% etc.

I also don’t inhale coconut oil smoke when cooking, and nor does it smoke/steam unless you burn it and then you’re just cooking wrong. Theres no evidence suggesting that its safe to inhale 5% MCT oil either.

And I never thought of adding CBG or CBN or CBD or CBC, as I didn’t know if person asking would want those in his cart as well. Most peoples like having only D9 in their carts. I’m simply suggesting maybe bump the HDT % to 9% to see how it goes vs vaping coconut oil.

Terpenes start to cause lipoid pneumonia? lol

The only cases of lipoid pneumonia being linked to terpenes was from things that barely qualify as a terpene (see: triterpenes). These were not vaped but swallowed and went down the wrong airway (much more than you’d inhale in a sitting). Also tend to be elderly patients (with weakened immune systems).

The issue with high amounts of terpenes is inflammation (which we all have probably felt after hitting a cart with 10+ terps) and degradation to carcinogens and other toxins. Terpenes and heat don’t get along nicely so I think people should probably chill on how much they’re adding. Flower is like 2 maybe 3% terps on a good day. We should stick to that range. If the oil is too thick after that then it’s a separate issue.

3 Likes

I’ll be doing a test run tonight or tomorrow of 150ml ill let u know how it goes I guess I’ll use b80 since its neutral and it’ll help u. I noticed silica 60 pulled a bunch reds before I thought any reason I should throw some silica on top the b80 u think

I’m not disty guy per say but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work

1 Like

The AVD 2.0 mm carts have been pretty good for me. I can put undiluted distillate (97% TAC) in and it worked fine, no clogs/leaks and had good vapor production.

That is my point on the much more than in one sitting, it can happen. If it does it would more than likely be from synthetically made ones, food grade and possibly botanical and it would be HIGH amounts. Over 10-12% is when it is harmful, when consistently inhaled as well is worse. Feel free to correct me more. But what part of MCT/coconut oil is still good? How do we know it cannot cause lipid pneumonia either?

The more you try to expand on this topic the more I’m seeing I’m probably not going to get through to you on this one. Too much bro science than I have time for today

2 Likes

We can take it to dm’s if you’d like. I never said I’m not open to learning more

I’m usually running straight wax, that’s really the problem lol. At least ideally when I have glass carts.

If not it’s (maybe) some terpenes and 5% MCT :confused: idk my body just doesn’t like D9 disty straight sadly I get nothing from it

2 Likes

Ok can we expand on this one for a minute- specifically the smell.

I have made distillate with both BHO and CO2, I’ve never made it EtoH extraction but can’t imagine it’s much different. Every distillate I have smelled has a raw smell to it, I have had some more then others. It’s not vacuum grease and it’s not terps, that’s what everyone points to but I’ve used distillate as grease along with using a 302f condenser for hot oil passing, it ain’t either.

However what I did just notice, we’re making a bunch of disty from melted fresh frozen that was quite nice before it melted. That BHO, even after winterization, smelled really freaking good. I just ordered a 5L Lab Society G3X so I plan on dong a 2500g maiden voyage to see what we can do and if it changes anything.

I’ll give you my quick SOP along with everyone elses.

Hot Water Bath 80C

Thermo gun and watch till it reads 50C on the top layer, drop the terps in with your correct weight and use a Sciologic 20L Overhead Stirer for 5-10m depending on lot size.

Changed DARK BLACKISH BROWN RED DISTY TO LIGHT YELLOW DISTY…I used 125g b80 and like 45 g silica 60

IT WORKED, IT WORKED, IT WORKED!

I would have used other means but I didn’t wanna have to buy anything…it worked great tbh

4 Likes

This is what I’m going to be crcing lol going to try a small batch first, I have a chunk to fuck with, might even try out some lustermax on it.

I ordered a dip tube today for my collection, once that gets here I will be ready to roll.

I’m going to dissolve in my collection, inject into solvent tank, and then from the solvent tank through crc and into collection.

2 Likes