Microwave Assisted Extraction

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L.) is one of the most controversial plants. So far, its multiple application in industry
for the production of fabrics, paper and construction materials is known. Today, there is increasing interest in its application
for medical purposes, as opposed to its opiate activity. In addition to well-known cannabinoids, the presence of polyphenolic
compounds and their antioxidant and reductive abilities are of great importance. Therefore the extraction of both constituents,
polyphenolics and cannabinoids (đš«9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD)), of industrial hemp was carried out
usingmicrowave-assisted extraction (MAE).
RESULTS: The effects of different extraction parameters, namely ethanol concentration (30, 50 and 70% v/v), extraction time
(10, 20 and 30min) and solid/liquid ratio (5, 10 and 15 gmL−1), on extraction yield, total phenol content, total flavonoid content,
antioxidant activity, reductive capacity, CBD content and THC content were investigated using response surface methodology.
For the experimental design, a Box–Behnken design was chosen. In the obtained extracts, the following ranges of targeted
compounds were detected: total phenols from 0.8499 to 2.7060mg gallic acid equivalentmL−1, total flavonoids from0.4707 to
1.4246mg catechin equivalentmL−1, THC from 0.0339 to 0.0637mgmL−1 and CBD from 0.2243 to 1.8415mgmL−1. Antioxidant
activity ranged from0.0009 to 0.2079mLmL−1, while reductive capacity ranged from0.0021 to 0.0066mLmL−1.
CONCLUSION: MAE proved to be a simple, efficient, fast and low environmental impact method for obtaining polyphenols
and cannabinoids from C. sativa L. Cannabis herb, which presents a by-product of fiber and cannabis product, showed to be
a promising source of bioactive compounds.
© 2019 Society of Chemical Industry

microwave.pdf (2.3 MB)

3 Likes

I am so confused as to how the authors of this study didn’t blow up the lab when sticking a jar of ethanol and biomass into the microwave for 30 minutes. Gonna give it a better read through later. Thanks for the share @Estokha!

6 Likes

Great paper, but I’m not sure I agree with the methodology. Gallic acid equivalents and catechin equivalents, in my humble opinion, leave something to be desired when used with Cannabis. I understand those are the standard but that comes from wine and food where there is so little deviation in structure. I don’t mean to sound negative, the strategy is great and I’ve no doubt the value of microwave extraction. I just wished they went further than total phenols and total flavanoids. Especially in GAE and CE

1 Like

Here come the vegorganics from Oregon!

But the Microwaves! Bad!

1 Like

It’s totally possible with the right vessels
 I’ve put 70% nitric acid in a microwave :face_with_monocle::astonished::poop::skull_and_crossbones::ghost:

The paper stated they used a homemade microwave extractor. Is it as simple as drilling a hole in the top of a regular microwave? Any worries about radiation leakage?

1 Like

I put gasoline in a pepsi can in a microwave for many minutes and nothing happened

They have these on Alibaba I was really considering it at one point

I am fascinated with microwave assisted terpene extraction. Found this interesting:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/tcr.201800045

??? why?? lmao

1 Like

Young and dumb and far away from it and wanted to see what happened. What dumb shit did you do when you were 15

1 Like

Hahaha, I feel you man. I take it you were disappointed with the results then lol.
I think the extent of my stupidity was limited to the drain cleaner/aluminum foil bombs, smashing mailboxes for no good reason, and paintball gun drive bys lol

More surprised really, always told metal in a microwave is bad.

1 Like