Method development. How to split co-eluting peaks?

The reason I like the isothermal approach is that packed columns drift ( column bleed ) more than capillary columns. So if you just stay at one temperature the signal is stable ( flat ). In the case of Haysep packed columns the temperature program does not affect the separation as much as it would a capillary column. We use a combination of non-polar Haysep D and more polar Haysep R.
The Haysep D does not separate normal butane from ethanol but the more polar Haysep R does.
The Haysep R does not separate methanol from propane but the Hay D does. The combo column solves both problems.
You can still temperature program if you want to and can tolerate the signal drift. For large peaks its a non-issue, but when close to the detection limit its nice to have a flat signal.
Hugh Goldsmith
SRI

1 Like

Would a column compensation (substracting a recent blank) be ok for correcting the drift ?

Yes, you can subtract the drift. The SRI software ( PeakSimple ) lets you do this.
But it’s never perfect.

1 Like

Grab some scientific data processing software. Origin is probably the broadest solution, but I personally prefer LabSpec. If you want free, there’s a decent open source program called Spectral Workbench. Maybe even buy a book on data analysis. Deconvolution of peaks is by far one of the hardest things to do correctly in data analysis. Now you do have some experimental options as mentioned above, but I haven’t seen anyone get those peaks resolved well enough to just tell by looking. You may need to order standards if nothing else works.

Order standards?!?

MeOH, EtOH,IsoP-OH, pentane, Acetone.

No, I need the correct stationary phase!

I’ll gladly go check out the software though. I’m a sucker for good data analysis.

2 Likes

Wow, sorry. In my daze I was thinking about the CBC/D10 convolution.

Definitely check out those software choices though. I can provide an older copy of LabSpec if you are interested, but it’s probably easier to find an even newer version.

2 Likes

That’ll be my fault for the lead in :wink:

Sorry about the misdirection…it’s a specialty of mine.

3 Likes

No worries! I like talking science even when it’s not the same thing everyone else is talking :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Did you make any progress with this?

I’m curious if the lower starting temp was the solution or if you still think you need a new column.

Not yet. Just got back to the machine today. Probably going to wait for the new column to arrive…

1 Like