Methanol. My first experience and I didn't wake up blind!

So yesterday I decided to adventure into using methanol, AC and Bentonite, here’s the pictures.

Security snake ( dont know what snake it is, vicious and bitey though )

Today’s fine bit of A1 biomass ( 6 months old, stored in the bag its in )

The precision grading equipment

100g of BHO with 300ml of Methanol

30 secs later.

5 mins later

25 mins later

Huge mistake, DE would not flow, I tried using a 2" cake…
( i’m happy it was only solvent, so threw it all away and started again )

Filtering correctly

Wax

19g of wax from 100g

Today I plan to use AC and Bentonite to remedy the colour.
Then evaporate the Methanol, re-dissolve into Butane and try form some crystals.

Any suggestions ? lol

3 Likes

AO (alumina oxide) to precipitate out the fats and waxes - if my mind is remembering correctly 5% by weight of your solution mixture - and an AC (activated carbon) cake for chlorophyll, along with a couple of paper filters/sintered discs - 100u, 20u, 5u, 1u, .5u is what I can remember after only just waking up.

7 Likes

Failing forward, I love it. Thanks for sharing man

3 Likes

Much respect for keepin on moving forward with limited access to equipment. Big ups. You in Africa?

2 Likes

No ! haha, Barcelona.

1 Like

Today’s affairs.
Lots of cake making, lots of watching drips, lots of wishing i had a bigger buchner ( I bet lots of people wish for a bigger buchner ).

Filtered once through Betonite

I dont have a magnetic stirrer yet … ( 30 mins )

Another hour or so of filtering and i have ended up with this, it is certainly better than the beginning product.

I now intend on dissolving in Butane and capping it to see if anything will crystalise out. ( i’m not expecting it to as the starting material is old and not the best )

I really do need to get a bigger buchner, filtering is painfully slow. It has a 40mm /1.5" filter. If I were to use a 150mm / 6" things would be far faster. Also @TwistedStill is donating a splatter platter to my cause which will also help no end.

Will update tomorrow after I fight this resin to dissolve in the some Butane lolo. :+1:

Edit: My mistakes so far are not having the correct funnel for what i intended doing meant that i couldn’t filter though as much bentonite as i should have.
Not having a magnetic stirrer / heating mantle meant i couldn’t use the bentonite or AC correctly.
Using food grade bentonite and AC from amazon certainly works but from what i have so far read on the forum, leads me to believe I should definitely buy some application specific medias.

I will get there in the end, it all takes … money … lol.

3 Likes