Methanol for winterization

Lots of good conversation in the comments section too.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I pulled about as much fat by freezing it with T5 as I did with a room temp dewax. In the roto now.

1 Like

is DGC degumming clay?

Yea my bad. My sample says DGC on the container so I started using that moniker. @Jay-TL

1 Like

Ill be trying this today with 30% water added like @Beaker suggests

3 Likes

No worries, just confirming. For a second i thought maybe I missed the announcement of a new product lol.

1 Like

I so a room temp theu 5-3 micron rhen into freezer then thru 1micron i start out with a kil less than 10:1 just sobi can was the waxes with super chillked solvent and the come out lookinf like chapstick white. Ive been using methanol for 5 yrs and imo it works better than etho hands down. Just my opinion

13 Likes

Scroll to Hexane/Saline water wash

1 Like

I use 70/30 and it has worked great for a long time. I should point out though that feedback i have gotten prefers 80/20 pirely because 70/30 can be very slow. It depends on how much gunk there is in the first place. For me I don’t mind extra time pulling it through because it does a more thorough cleanup. But I wanted to mention that adjusting the ratio has worked better for others that way.

On really gunky starting compound if it starts to plug the alumina then
i just adjust the ratio on the fly during the run. Remember though that the faster it flows then the more wax gets through so there is a trade off. 70/30 is the best trade off for this in terms of speed snd such imo but slight adjustments might be needed for your particular batch.

6 Likes

Couldnt you technically start with 100% methanol and do a first pass filtration, then do a second at the 70/30 ratio? Wouldnt the increase in polarity from the water make more fats drop out once the water was added and mixed? I am using warm extracted hexane crude so 25% of the weight is fats and lipids. I do have a 24"belart filter i use to filter with though, im just concerned about clogging it.

2 Likes

I’m under the impression that the formic acid formed via metabolism is significantly less toxic (LD50 1.8 g/kg) than the formaldehyde (LD50 100 mg/kg).

I didnt realize i’d left that out of my post, good catch.

Do you just saturate your oleo in the methanol then run it through a Buchner at room temp?

1 Like

Ya i use it just rhe same as etho, i do a rough cut filtration 5 and 3 micron. Then i pit into freezer for at least 18hrs then filter thru 1 micron and then its ready for roto

5 Likes

Do you mix water in with your methanol?
@Concentrated_humbold

Only when doing a LLE orherwise i use it exactly how i would etho. I feel that i pulls alot more fats out at room temp than etho. I do a room temp thru 5 and 3 micron rhen into freezer for 24hrs then thru a 1 micron and then into roto.

5 Likes

whats the reason for pulling it past alumina?

1 Like

there is a very nice explanation that @beaker posted I recommend you read it

4 Likes
6 Likes

Do u extract w methanol?

1 Like