Methanol for winterization

the next upgrade is a china 20l roto and a homemade glycol chiller or i will make a reclaim still instead of going the roto route

3 Likes

Dont bother, yes it works marginally betterā€¦ but its 100% more dangerous and hazardous to your health

1 Like

im leaning more towards building a still to produce my own azeo etoh

2 Likes

I use it for winterizing and it works way better than ethanol, i only do 1 room remp filtration then 1 cold because it pulls so muxh at room temp. If you do water washes it and heptane/hexane are rhe best, will pull all the terps etc.

2 Likes

Methanol is not safe treu but Some of us (i) work in places Where one hasn t gotten much choice
In denmark 1 L of etho is 110 us $
And all etho is denatured with bitrex
Yust one example :grinning:

2 Likes

Well that i understand, could also use acetone.

3 Likes

What is azeo etoh?

Azeotrope ethanol My guess :grinning: 96%

1 Like

Why not just use proof or percentage. Leaves less guess work. 90/10 works best with ethanol/water mix.

1 Like

Sorry I just meant 95.6% ethanol

$300 for 55gal or $2500 for 55 gal? What would you choose?

1 Like

Itā€™s about 55 a gallon here but thatā€™s still a shit ton of money and most is taxā€¦ Not a fan of taxes lol

2 Likes

But it works the best

2 Likes

Iā€™m shocked at all the fats I pulled with a 6:1 methanol winterization tonight. Room temp over aluminum oxide. You could see shit crashing out immediately after dissolving in the methanol.

12 Likes

Ive found that the fats left over from winterizing with methanol are much greasier than when Iā€™ve winterized with isopropanol. Adding a very small amount of bentonite helps the precipitating waxes to fall to the bottom of the solution as a floc.

Addition of DGC in methanol made my waxes float to the top od the solution. Still it did so in a defined layer.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip! It felt SUPER greasy between my fingers. I figure I should probably post pics of my results here as well. I have about 60 grams of some other stuff thatā€™s supposedly dewaxed as well from a cold etoh wash I did myself (I bought this liter of crude from someone else which was run once through a WFE). Iā€™ll run that with some methanol as well to see if I pull anything else from it. Also worth noting that I pulled a ton of green as well.

5 Likes

Your not joking, thats a ton of green. Looks just like waxplugs buchner funnel. Did you try freezing the methanol?

A lot of stuff drops at room temp but my whole solution became cloudy when i put it in the freezer at 0C. Im assuming its the oil like lipids being the last to drop out of solution. They settled very slowly relative to the first bit of waxy lipids and only really seemed to makena defined layer with the addition of t5.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be sure to do that tonight and re-filter before I toss it in the roto tomorrow (finally got it in and set it up yesterday and Iā€™m way too excited to use it). Iā€™m a little worried about crashing cannabinoids out since there isnā€™t much info on the solubility of cannabinoids in methanol. Especially at 6:1 while 0c. Is this a valid concern? Would it be wise to freeze another clean liter of methanol to flush the filter for good measure?

2 Likes

You need not worry about accidentally crashing cannabinoids because they are very very soluble in methanol. Ill try and find the article that measures extraction efficiency of various solvents.

Not a journal article but its got the info i was thinking about.

Edit: Home - Restek Chromatography Products and Solutions @coppertop

4 Likes

This article is fucking gold. Thanks a ton!

2 Likes