Methanol for winterization

Ya i use it just rhe same as etho, i do a rough cut filtration 5 and 3 micron. Then i pit into freezer for at least 18hrs then filter thru 1 micron and then its ready for roto

5 Likes

Do you mix water in with your methanol?
@Concentrated_humbold

Only when doing a LLE orherwise i use it exactly how i would etho. I feel that i pulls alot more fats out at room temp than etho. I do a room temp thru 5 and 3 micron rhen into freezer for 24hrs then thru a 1 micron and then into roto.

5 Likes

whats the reason for pulling it past alumina?

1 Like

there is a very nice explanation that @beaker posted I recommend you read it

4 Likes
6 Likes

Do u extract w methanol?

1 Like

i would be interested to know who is extracting with methanol as well. would be pretty sweet to extract, filter and winterize with the same solvent without dry ice or ultra low temps.

1 Like

I dont extract at all anymore, only distillation

Extraction is too messy to use methanol for in my opinion. But if you have a fully enclosed system it would be okay

3 Likes

I would never extract with methanol, even at cryo temps because of the polarity you’ll pull chloraphyll

3 Likes

I extract with methanol not always but often
clorofyl is not an issue at cryo temps
biggest drawback are sugars you pull a lot of sugers that hurt when distilling
I am doing some test right now to see if I can pull them out before distillation
brine washing
any suggestions welcome

5 Likes

Maybe washing with water? Or a less than fully saturated brine solution?

3 Likes

yes I am washing with water and louching with different alcohols
have 250 ml of each will spd each and see wich leaves a flask without some black glass tar behind
it s really old weed but some are stuck with it see if I can make something that will set them free

2 Likes

does excess sugars cause any other problems to distillate other than the residue on glass?

1 Like

no not really it starts to darken your tails a little more
it s a pain to clean the glass
and this batch is so large I want to pull it on a wiped film so I want it to be as clean as possible

1 Like

I would think that a brine wash would take care of the sugars rather easily. Since a brine wash is usually performed on crude that’s headed to distillate it kind of makes more sense to just extract with cryo methanol.

That way you really dont have to winterize the solution and your solvent is much cheaper and more recyclable too because it doesnt form an azeotrope with the water your going to pick up during extractions. You get to skip the long step.

But if your going to be extracting with methanol you should probably make a triclamp rig to minimize exposure to the vapors.

2 Likes

if only you knew I will post my extraction facility in the mountains this summer
it s a madmans heaven https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/tloca.pdf
it s a hyperbaric room of 8 x 6 ‘’ with a co 2 nitrogen enriched atmosphere wich is cooled to -5C
oxygen level around 2 percent and sort of like a tube snorkel as breading apparatus
2 x300L wash buckets and a 20 kg atex centrifuge
methanol and butane are the only solvents used hmmm I hear you thinking
4 x-86C freezers made in the walls for storage of biomass only the doors are in the room the compessors are out the cooling unit is atex and everything is grounded
it still ain t safe but at least I am doing what I like most if shit hits the fan

22 Likes

You sir are a mad scientist.

6 Likes

Thinking Outside the box while inside a box I love it ha

6 Likes