Methanol for winterization

No worries, just confirming. For a second i thought maybe I missed the announcement of a new product lol.

1 Like

I so a room temp theu 5-3 micron rhen into freezer then thru 1micron i start out with a kil less than 10:1 just sobi can was the waxes with super chillked solvent and the come out lookinf like chapstick white. Ive been using methanol for 5 yrs and imo it works better than etho hands down. Just my opinion

13 Likes

Scroll to Hexane/Saline water wash

1 Like

I use 70/30 and it has worked great for a long time. I should point out though that feedback i have gotten prefers 80/20 pirely because 70/30 can be very slow. It depends on how much gunk there is in the first place. For me I don’t mind extra time pulling it through because it does a more thorough cleanup. But I wanted to mention that adjusting the ratio has worked better for others that way.

On really gunky starting compound if it starts to plug the alumina then
i just adjust the ratio on the fly during the run. Remember though that the faster it flows then the more wax gets through so there is a trade off. 70/30 is the best trade off for this in terms of speed snd such imo but slight adjustments might be needed for your particular batch.

6 Likes

Couldnt you technically start with 100% methanol and do a first pass filtration, then do a second at the 70/30 ratio? Wouldnt the increase in polarity from the water make more fats drop out once the water was added and mixed? I am using warm extracted hexane crude so 25% of the weight is fats and lipids. I do have a 24"belart filter i use to filter with though, im just concerned about clogging it.

2 Likes

I’m under the impression that the formic acid formed via metabolism is significantly less toxic (LD50 1.8 g/kg) than the formaldehyde (LD50 100 mg/kg).

I didnt realize i’d left that out of my post, good catch.

Do you just saturate your oleo in the methanol then run it through a Buchner at room temp?

1 Like

Ya i use it just rhe same as etho, i do a rough cut filtration 5 and 3 micron. Then i pit into freezer for at least 18hrs then filter thru 1 micron and then its ready for roto

5 Likes

Do you mix water in with your methanol?
@Concentrated_humbold

Only when doing a LLE orherwise i use it exactly how i would etho. I feel that i pulls alot more fats out at room temp than etho. I do a room temp thru 5 and 3 micron rhen into freezer for 24hrs then thru a 1 micron and then into roto.

4 Likes

whats the reason for pulling it past alumina?

1 Like

there is a very nice explanation that @beaker posted I recommend you read it

4 Likes
6 Likes

Do u extract w methanol?

1 Like

i would be interested to know who is extracting with methanol as well. would be pretty sweet to extract, filter and winterize with the same solvent without dry ice or ultra low temps.

1 Like

I dont extract at all anymore, only distillation

Extraction is too messy to use methanol for in my opinion. But if you have a fully enclosed system it would be okay

3 Likes

I would never extract with methanol, even at cryo temps because of the polarity you’ll pull chloraphyll

3 Likes

I extract with methanol not always but often
clorofyl is not an issue at cryo temps
biggest drawback are sugars you pull a lot of sugers that hurt when distilling
I am doing some test right now to see if I can pull them out before distillation
brine washing
any suggestions welcome

5 Likes