Membrane color remediation thread

My was directly from the Methanol extraction

1 Like

Any specific reason you are not filtering in heptane?
I get Best results so far With the last filtration of heptane

Because most ppl are using ethanol

1 Like

Sorry get confused on the heptane crude…

If you are interested in the Nanofiltration please come see my lecture this week.
Registration is free.
Registration link: Trends in Cannabis Extraction: Scaling Up and Purifying for Desired End Products
November 18th 2020 8AM PST

3 Likes

That color remediation though

Warm extracted ethanol denatured with heptane crude winterized with a membrane

2 Likes

Are those in solution or straight oil?

1 Like

Solution still, haven’t finished running it yet

I’ll recover it on the FFE tomorrow

2 Likes

Looks like I’m passing barely any chlorophyll if any

Gonna run it through my solvent recovery membranes in a little

Should have analytics by Wednesday

2 Likes

Is the bottom picture the oil or still in solution?

Both are still in solution

Bottom is starting crude

Top is winterized

2 Likes

Ill be handling recovery with my membranes later and will get pics with no solvent once recovery is finished

3 Likes

That color in the roto though

2 Likes

After evaporation

Not as light as I’d like but atleast it’s not red

Chlorophyll is a bitch and I think this membrane handled it pretty well

I believe I can lighten it up more by removing all the heavy terpenes as I believe the heads are what are making this dark

Next time I’ll run the solution through my terp membrane to remove the heads, ill also use membrane to recover instead of a roto with heat

2 Likes

Do it with some hexane crude! I bet the color would be passable!

1 Like

I’ll have my hydro carbon membranes next week

Surprisingly I was using heptane crude originally and I got worse results

I think since this membrane doesn’t like heptane it doesn’t handle heptane extract as well as it does ethanol as ethanol pulls totally different compounds out of the plant compared to heptane.

The first post in this thread was this same membrane with heptane crude in ethanol denatured with heptane

Only difference between this run and my first post is the crude (I extracted biomass with ethanol denatured with heptane this time where as last time I mixed heptane crude in)

I’m gonna try the hydro carbon membranes on this solution too as they should be tighter and give me better results

The end goal for me is heptane tbh, why not extract and crystallize your acids in your starting solvent?

2 Likes

Exactly. Are you trying some of synders membranes they recommend for hydro carbons?

1 Like

I bet if you carbon scrubbed it before membrane step, you’d have got super clean.

Also that looks crazy thin. Still solvent left, or more terpenes made it through than cannabinoids?

5 Likes

This is hot out of the roto right after evaporation, im sure there’s still solvent left in it. After decarb I’ll post a video of it cold

One thing you need to remember is nanofiltration will remove alot of the heavier compounds that co distill in the tails fraction, these compounds are alot more stable then thc from my experience (think about the discharge on first pass how it’s like glass and hard as shit once you get all the cannabinoids out)

I think the consistency on this will be alot thinner then normal crude, I also think there will be more of a main fraction and less of a tails fraction because of the nanofiltration

Joel told brown is 10x easier to deal with then red

In the fruit juice industry a red rententate usually comes out pink where as brown will come out yellow

I have a feeling carotenoids made it through which wouldn’t be extracted as much in a hydro carbon (I believe I read carotenoids are polar?)

I ask kca if they can test for carotenoid on MS, waiting for a reply

I think a slightly tighter membrane would seperafe them out, hopefully the membranes I receive next week will do the job they’re slightly tighter then the ones I used to make the above crude

1 Like