Media Help; removing the red color to lightest possible

Future,

I apologize if this is repetitive but I have not seen a thread on media help that has pertained to my particular situation. We currently run CO2 crude oil and after winterization would like to mess with different medias. However, we solely use DE (Diamitacious Earth) media currently as we have never had problems as a layer in the buchner funnel but have had the distillate come out rather dark red in bulk liters or more. I wanted to try different medias but was suggested to use T5 to brighten the color but put a layer on top of our buchner funnel (clay with holes) and imploded our filtering flask. Now that is has been a few months was wondering suggestions on which medias may help color in our situation as we have no smell problems or pesticides, etc. So far I have gathered that T5, Carbon, Mag-Sil, and Canna Sondergut Silkate Pulver all aid in color help. Any suggestions on which work the best for yall and how to use them such as if its better to scrub with them in the ethanol solution or use as a layer in the buchner? Been having trouble so any help is highly appreciated!

1 Like

Less of those carotenoids, flavonoids, and other pigment compounds will come out with your cannabinoids if you do a low and slow pressure (sub-critical) run. The supercritical run will pull these compounds out.

From my experience, medias like CR2 from Media Bros help trap the chlorophyll but can get the

if your parameters are around 3000psi and 60 degree C. Whats cool about the CR2 is you put it directly into the extraction vessel before packing the biomass so you don’t have to worry about a secondary refinement.

You can extract using sub-crtical parameters,
use supercritical parameters in conjunctions with CR2,
or just do a SPD on your CO2 oil.

I’m sure the fellas have plenty of more suggestions though.

1 Like

I appreciate it but have seen severe loss in yields even after winterization to distillate and same color on both our sub and super critical runs, we also have the 2kPSI Apeks so can only run under 2000psi but will definitely look into media in extraction for future use but will be moving to hydrocarbons soon just wondering more strictly based on filtering and media help what people commonly use to get the lightest color possible for the time being while we set up our hydrocarbon extraction. I appreciate it though!

Agh I see, yeah you are a lot more restricted by what parameters you can use. I personally will do 1250 psi at 20 degrees C but only for a few hours instead of a long run. The yield is small but the color will be way better, then you can extract the rest of the cannabinoids with super critical. Unfortunately, because your system is limited by pressure and temperature limits, the CR2 media will not be as fully activated and you won’t see quite the results you are looking for.

Because of your CO2 setup is limited in its parameters, you will see a lot better results with the color in your hydrocarbon setup. MediaBros has a CRX media and column combo if you don’t already have a CRC coming with your setup. Pretty straight forward, after your extract is dewaxed, you’ll push it to the CRC column before collecting.

1 Like