Mechanically separated decarbed thca turning purple

It has to do with the ph, mostly with remediation

1 Like

I did a water wash but not good enough I guess

HU-331 is the cbd quinone.
Here we are working with thca decarbed .

The description as a "mechanical separation " assuming lots of terps, and then decarbed in a sealed Parr type reactor, at ungodly
temps and timesā€¦leaves a few things unsaidā€¦ 280C for four hours?? How high did the pressure gauge readā€¦? amusing to think about. seriously, just vape the THCA as isā€¦!

ps Gobstopp: I like the Parr reactor, You can buy an old GC, cut a hole in top,drop your reactor into holeā€¦and use GC as a precision heating oven.

I agree with you. I already mentioned that i was wrong.

Ahā€¦I see, missed it. (please excuse comment).
(but there should be a THC analogue?) if that is what you mean.
Iā€™m not sure what is in the jar.
I am not familiar with any ā€œpurpleā€
when dealing with THC purified by
Silica Flash.
Of course alkali in solvent (including terps as solvent)
O2 and a little bit of lightā€¦does ā€œwondersā€ for color.

Is this material ā€œcontaminatedā€ with CBD and CBDA?
Story may be a bit complicated.

2 Likes

280c was the hot plate temp, surface isnā€™t perfectly flat so it doesnā€™t have the best heat transfer. Had a thermometer attacked to the side walls of the vessel reading about 220c. Didnā€™t intend on leaving it for 4 hours, 3 hours was the goal. Thatā€™s also from a cold start, so the vessel took some time to come up to temp. Pressure saw 225psi before triggering the prv, bit higher then I imagined with about 40% headspace

Not sure what a GC is. Donā€™t think my gauge is rated for that level of temp exposure

1 Like

ay id smoke dat shit all day looks fire

1 Like

Yes, it is very interesting what you are doing. Nice experimental
apparatus. Is there an extra port on the reactor top that will take an
internal temp probe?
Decarbing THCA should take about 1 hr of 220F/100C.
at atmospheric pressure.
That reactor is sealedā€¦just put the
entire thing in a pan of boiling waterā€¦that will heat it to 100C
perfectlyā€¦ or just pop it in a preheated oven at 220F.
A GC is a gas chromatograph. GC have very precision oven
controls.
I have a version of that reactor, quite a bit larger, and it has
a three phase motor built in, that stirs a teflon paddle to provide mixing in the teflon cup. There is a paper where they use these
reactors to do High pressure, High temperature water extraction
of cannabis. I will look it up and send it to you. Iā€™m interested in water extraction at high pH.
When you do the decarb, try putting just a ml of vinegar in thereā€¦
see if it inhibits the purple formation. What strain are you using and how much CBDA and CBD should we expect.

Have you done this personally? My experience is different decarbing diamonds.

3 Likes

I should have written 240 F. .for one hr. (About)
Iā€™m contrasting with 280C (536F) to make a point!
I think it can be toned down to a time course in boiling water.
Certainly. I donā€™t have any problem decarbing ā€œabout 240Fā€.
Plenty.
Are we talking, analytical amtsā€¦rapidly heated thin films,
Or bulk amounts, mixing no mixing etc.
I can see many problems with my statementā€¦
I always check with a rapid thin layer ā€¦
Tell me your experience.
CBDā€¦another story.

How different? 100C is perfect decarbing temp in my neighborhood.

I donā€™t decarb anything but edibles tho. No pressurized decarb chamber.

Why?

abcd (minimum post length)

So both of you are fully decarbing crystalized THCa that has been mechanically separated under these parameters? Because thatā€™s what we are talking about. The amount of thermal energy required to simply melt all the stones isnā€™t there at your given temps and timesā€¦in my experienceā€¦it takes a lot more. But Iā€™m actually melting down THCa and decarbing it for cartingā€¦just like this guy.

8 Likes

I second this. Thca takes a lot of energy and longer than a traditional extract to decarb. I also do this regularly, it takes a lot, lot longer and hotter to break the bond between the two

9 Likes

I fail to understand why a purer form of THCA would require a higher decarb temperature :man_shrugging: I say that with no ego or disrespect. Itā€™s the same bonds, minus whatever terpenes, flavanoids, and other trace cannabinoids might be present.

No, I donā€™t decarb bulk amounts of THCA, and I merely measure when decarb stops when I stop seeing CO2 bubbles form. I took my temperatures from literature about THCA decarbing, that reference temperatures between 100-150C. Iā€™m not picky, and I know what an activated cannabinoid feels like.

Definitely curious for a :spoon: if there is one to be found on why a pure THCA extract would have such a significantly higher decarb temp than the literature I see referencs.

2 Likes

Try it for yourself. Best thing you can do is to see first hand. Self spoons self.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll chuck some in to spoon myself up, but I gotta ask, is this a matter of batch size, or the THCA itself?
Gimme that much spoon. @TwistedStill

2 Likes

I believe it has to do with the bond created by forming a crystal structure. But Iā€™m a highschool drop out who operates out of a shedā€¦I donā€™t much know what Iā€™m talking about outside my direct experience.

16 Likes

Iā€™ve got a useless degree that isnā€™t applicable to all this. Appreciate the kind spooning.

I enjoyed your prior thread on pressurized decarbing.

3 Likes

Anyone ever microwave thca?

Serious questionā€¦.

8 Likes