Mechanically separated decarbed thca turning purple

Thank you for quoting the “if”…it makes a difference,

@gobstopp , This is typical oxidation of cannabinoids to quinones. There are important differences in the colors reported. Some folks call everything “purple”, but there are several shades, indicating different compounds.

On my phone (Samsung Note 10+), at least, here are some emoji to represent color differences:

These are shades of the purple (violet) color seen in some CBD quinone products :purple_heart: :smiling_imp: :space_invader: :eggplant::crystal_ball::medical_symbol:, most often caused by oxidation in the presence of alkali.

These mauve shades :hibiscus::tulip::octopus:are often mistaken for “purple”, although they are forms of red, indicating THC quinones from similar alkaline oxidizing conditions. Sometimes they are mixed with true purple :grapes::wine_glass::sweet_potato:, indicating both CBD & THC quinones from said conditions.

These are shades of more pure red :heart: :wilted_flower::japanese_ogre::lobster::tomato::firecracker:or reddish pink​:anatomical_heart::lungs::tongue::japanese_goblin:often seen from higher concentrations of THC quinone products that have oxidized in air at neutral or with acid present.

These are pink to peach shades :cherry_blossom::heartpulse::brain::flamingo::worm::peach: which happen sometimes in attempts to make “water clear” or intentional “rosé”, from pure THC quinone in highly colorless, neutral products.

Reddish brown shades :crab::squid::hindu_temple::brick::city_sunset: happen when CBD and/or THC quinones & chlorophyll are together.

Crude brown shades :chestnut::horse::bison::eagle::turkey::mammoth::paw_prints:and high quality crude tan colors​:maté::fallen_leaf::snail::boar::chipmunk::onion::shrimp::maple_leaf: are from xanthophyll yellows, carotenoid oranges, chlorophyll & other pigments, cannabino-quinoids and terpene oxides, all together.

These are “yellow” amber shades​:orange_heart::orange_circle::eight_pointed_black_star::rosette::tiger::blowfish::hamster::mango::beer:
or dark “red” amber :maple_leaf::fox_face::shrimp::tangerine::tumbler_glass::tent::izakaya_lantern::3rd_place_medal:which are carotenoids and/or yellow+red​:pill:, from the xanthophylls & quinones, respectively.

The usual​:fire:yellow/gold shades :yellow_heart::yellow_circle::rosette::cheese::cat::cat2::baby_chick::blossom::sunflower::ear_of_rice::no_mouth::lemon::banana::honey_pot::clinking_glasses::full_moon_with_face::star::full_moon::medal_sports::reminder_ribbon::1st_place_medal: come from xanthophyll yellow pigments.

These are grayish shades seen in some water white products :white_heart::fog::shell::shark::skull::dash::koala::2nd_place_medal:that have not oxidized… Too much darkness can indicate black solid particulate impurities, like charcoal, but it may also be a trick of the light refraction through different transparent solids like glass & resin.

There are even rare occurrences of green & blue during processes :nauseated_face::cold_face:, caused by unusual refractory characteristics of mixtures, terpene decomposition products, polymorphism in crystal structures, and other bizarre phenomena.

Unicorns🦄 & rainbows🌈, folks!

EDIT: Yeah, the forum replacement emoji are off-colored, dang it.

21 Likes

You use sunlight to develop your slides?

I love that- could you share your method?

1 Like

Just run silica thin layers, hexane modified with
15% acetone. After a short run of about 5 cm and spotting about 10 micrograms in 2 to. 4 microliters.

Pull plate, dry it…put it on windowsill in direct sunlight. Wait 1/2 hr or so…and then leave it for a day or so as well, colors will develop more intensely.

If you’re in a hurry you can put the plate under a halogen spotlight at a rather close distance
Do some standards.
The acids have very low Rf values and appear sort of purple…the decarbed appear more reddish
With higher Rf values.

1 Like

see: YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

3 Likes

Thank you for post…
“Mechanically separated THCA”

You have an eye for color!
Nice post.

1 Like

As compared with the above

“Mechanically separated meat”

Water: pressurized hot water:file:///home/chronos/u-700c11fc7e2dfdb4c797ff015a642dee5bdd23b4/MyFiles/Downloads/THCA%20crystal%20isolation%20et%20al/H2O%20supercriticalExtraction.pdf

or
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2018.09.001

you mean: You Can Use Espresso Machines To Make Marijuana Extracts ?!?

1 Like

Take a look at 3000 year old Bhang recipes. Not in water.

However, as this paper suggests…at the right high temp/pressure…and you allow FLOW,
as in steam distillation…you can achieve mass transport…look at their set up.
As I remember that paper, it is difficult to ascertain exaxtly what temp and pressure
they are using. …it is in another paper.
I can not quite remember their collection apparatus set up but you know it will be messy.
Hoowever, if you had a “hot water” extraction plant next to a large acre Hemp field,
one might begin to think “terpenes” #1 and CBD as a secondary final product using
high temp pressurized water. CBD /water vs THC/ water are two different subjects
and more so for the acid forms.
Think big trucks, big fields, wet Hemp. water.
Keep it simple…what is the minimum to achieve profit.
These solutions have nothing to do with the “flavor-taste-THC” rec market…
You specialize in EtOH?

The expresso machines are not necessarily set at right Temp/Pressure for
maximal mass transport of cannabinoid out of biomass. But yes…
the nascent idea is encorporated into the expresso concept.
Coffee-Expresso is an “art”.

1 Like

People are already using boilers and semi trailers in field to extract terpenes from hemp. Its been happening for a bit…

2 Likes

My point would be an apparatus that affords the HPWE extraction step
outlined in the referenced paper…after the terpenes are removed.
You haven’t harmed the CBD in any way…it is still there…
it takes a closed retort of some sort…I’d like to see the boilers/semitrailer
operation…do you have any direct contact?
There are a number of ways to directly deal with that wet hemp!
Thanks. I really think water is the solution…no pun intended.
When you have HEMP in a large field…say 500 acres…all maxed out…
my first impression, was…this is the largest “problem” I have ever imagined…
I am totally thinking wrong about processing…

From a financial point of view…you have so much CBDA…it has value.
How much will it cost you to harvest, dry, transport and extract that CBDA.
This is a number, that can be expressed in the percent of the original potential
CBDA value. In the field wet-processing with the cheapest solvent, water is an alternative.
Even if the CBDA recovery value is much lower, it may be more economical.?
Plus you have the Terpenes as primary. I have been thinking about this and water processing for three years.

1 Like

The specific heat of pure THCa is higher than if it was in a mixture, therefore requiring more energy to get to the desired point. Same with salt and water, the impurity allows the water to boil with less energy, therefore boiling faster even though the boiling point is increased.

2 Likes

If it was pH causing the discoloration, the whole jar would be affected, not just the top portion that is exposed to atmosphere. I think it happens when THCa gets decarboxylated to THC, continues to reflux because it’s hot, then exposed to oxygen in the jar and converts to THCQ as the remainder is trying to fully decarboxylate.

1 Like

do you mean it refluxes in the bottle?

1 Like

roiplek it is far more complicated.

Now that you have won the Tyler Durden award for investigative Journalism,
you will find yourself tasked with endeavours such a purpleness.

I thought i was Cannabis Jerry Springer? Now i get an award, too? phew…

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen this many emojis in a post, ever. Since we’re handing out awards (^^^) you must have won something with this post, also just for the pure informational value of it.

5 Likes

is there an approx ratio as to how much hte to add to the mix or do you just kinda eyeball it?