Mechanically separated decarbed thca turning purple

It would be cool to take a scoop of the purple impurity, add it to a vessel or jar. Then add some powdered thca (for easier dissolve) and butane. Let it dissolve and regrow diamonds. See if it gets stuck in the diamonds or stays In the mother liquor

3 Likes

It never turned purples before. It’s always in my living room, which is usually dark.

That purple started in about 10 minutes or so I’d say. And it appears its going away somewhat.

The q tips though, those were never in direct light.

I’m too lazy to clean my rig lol, but imma take a big sloppy hit, clean the dish, and put that qtip in the dark for a bit.

Taking the hit now.

To add to the fun.

I took a heat gun, melted down the top surface purple layer, still had a hue in my opinion so I poured it off into its own clean jar.

Added some terp sauce to the remaining oil and spread it over the top to stop any more oxidation. Slowly heated and stirred.

After a while, I looked at the poured off purple jar, still had a slight hue, showed my wife who said it just looked pale brownish to her. Scraped it all out, mixed it back in with the main batch of oil and terps, color completely dissipated. Filled carts and they all have a nice pale color, no hint of a purple hue or anything

3 Likes

It’s already turning a tiny bit

Stuck it in a cupboard

The oil was also never exposed to sunlight. It was dark out when I opened the vessel. The only light it saw was from the led “warm” bulbs in my kitchen lights

1 Like

This syringe was never in the sun.

1 Like

Once we took it out of the light, it turned back the normal reclaim color over a short period of time. Did your colorful rig turn back to normal as well?

1 Like

Yep, it’s starting to fade away for sure.

1 Like

9 Likes

Same. Boiling points of cannabinoids are mostly known experientially by folks with lots of vacuum distillation experience.

3 Likes

which sucks gigantic ass because how tf do i figure out what’s currently distilling over when working with a mixture?

3 Likes

Sounds like something a grant should be put together for

1 Like

Surprised this hasn’t been clearly laid out yet.

Wouldn’t it only require a calorimeter to figure this out?

You’d think @spdking would be the first to have a report on this subject.

2 Likes

have you looked at the cost for a suitable DSC?

I dont know what a suitable DSC looks like. One built for polymer chemistry would probably work. No?

probably, yeah

@roiplek

A better bet, in my opinion is fractional distillation in its truest form. i.e. distill at a single temperature, collect fraction, rinse/repeat.

Then characterize the separation with some analytics. Preferably LCMS

Then use a nomagraph to correlate the boiling points at the vacuum level (oh yeah, you’d have to have immensely accurate pressure control) to either room temperature or whatever of pressure of interest.

0.02$

1 Like

honestly i don’t see any benefit of actual distillation over DSC. the latter usually has much finer temp control so that’s already something quite important and useful.

Would this be sensitive enuf

it only goes down to 0.1mmHg, might be problematic. i usually distill at 0.025mmHg