Measuring the pH of crude/distillate

Hello,
I would like to start a discussion on ways to measure the pH of extract for the purpose of avoiding excess acids or bases before distillation. What methods are there for measuring pH currently?

In the past I have taken litmus paper or pH strips to the polar/water layer of liquid liquid (hexane/water) extraction but that only measures the pH of whatever migrated from the crude oil into the water layer. So far this method appears to be working for me because I have never had noticeable (in color or potency) acid or base reactions in my rbf.

Ideally a pH test before distillation could prevent a loss in yield/potency and discoloration like pinks and purples that I have seen pictures of.

Please let me know if this topic has already been created. I see a lot of posts about pH regarding isomerations but didn’t find one discussing ways to measure pH.

1 Like

Heres from photon in his degumming tek [quote=“Photon_noir, post:1, topic:936”]
Before you begin working with any acid or base, you should measure the starting pH of your hydrated (water-containing) resin solution. To do this, use Hydrion pH paper (the thin roll of yellow paper sold packed in foil in a clear plastic “tape” dispenser with a pH 1.0 to 14.0 color key on it) to test the pH of your room temperature 190 proof ethanol:cannabinoid solution. Write down the starting pH!
[/quote]

4 Likes

I think your approach may be valid

pH is the negative logarithm of the hydronium ion concentration

hydronium is water that has accepted an additional hydrogen (proton) to give it an overall positive charge

pH is a measure of the formation of hydronium in water

so in dissolving your oil in hexane and then doing doing your hexane/water wash, whatever acidic compounds (those compounds that promote formation of hydronium ions in water) residing in your hexane solution are transferred to your aqueous (water) layer, an pH of your water later changes accordingly

What ratio ethanol:cannabinoid solution do you use to determine pH with this method? I’m trying to determine pH of distillate around 70% cannabinoids.