MCT has HORRIBLE taste when sonicated

What is the sonication intended for ?

Is the smell worse with sunflower/grapeseed than with mct ?

It sound like the probe may be messing up with insaturated fatty acids, like spoiling the oil, promoting its oxidation. MCT normally gets only traces of omegas, but some references have enough to promote a bad smell when you oxidize it.

Why do people don’t like to inject MCT on their column ? Using GC ?

I don’t specially like doing so, but I do a lot.
Was even thinking of testing some cleaning procedure using it.

I have the distinct memory of a lab director ranting about how many days it took to clean up his hplc because #^>~**? MCT. It could be another hallucination :wink:

I found that back flushing my GC column every now and then helps ameliorate any build up.

2 Likes

ascorbic acid?

Remember that story.

At the time, I thought that it was perhaps not MCT, but that mystery oil that was suppose to kill people (what up with that story ?). Or perhaps it could be that strange low density MCT oil reffered to in other topics… :thinking:

Otherwise I dont really see problem with MCT.
It just need to get to higher temp, and maintain them longer.
Maybe the reason is simply that those labs always use the same fast method, whatever the sample.
In case of most oil, one doesn’t directly see issues. While with MCT, if one does not evacuate it (needs to add at least 5 minutes at 320°C), it messes up with the next two analyses. The other oils will also promote some mess at some point, but it generally doesn’t impede analysis.

oh good lord. you’re absolutely correct.

that was my third party lab director bitching about Dr Adorable’s, which is not MCT!!

I agree, with a GC, the doubling of analysis time, and the eventual build-up on the column are not terribly problematic.

would still need to sweet talk the lab director into an “off -menu” analysis.

1 Like

@organicmechanic206: just blink twice if adding honey cut helps

3 Likes

In my case I simply analyse any tincture the same way, with a longer method anyway.
The other oils somehow promote some mess too, You barely see none of the component in the chromatogram. At least with MCT, you see series of big sharp peaks, you know it is here.

Attention must also be paid with the strange engineered extracts people often send for analysis…

High power ultrasound effects on lipid oxidation of refined sunflower oil - PubMed ?

3 Likes

please dont use honey cut lol but “pee gee vee gee” might be a good starting point lol sorry i really wish i could say more but i need to keep my job right now

1 Like

I certainly won’t lol. And thank you.

1 Like

palmitate

1 Like

testing for titanium would be on an ICP, not a GC so shouldnt be hard to find a lab to test MCT oil. Yes too much organics can shut down the plasma flame but its not like GC or HPLC where it gums the shit out of everything

1 Like

Yeah…Two tests.

One for Ti. Which most cannabis labs need to be able to manage these days.

One for degraded mct, which will be “off menu” for folks geared for state mandated testing.

2 Likes

What would they be looking for regarding degraded MCT?

You’ll be able to see a difference between input and output if you’re wrecking the MCT

I see. Thank you!

I ran into this too. Its oxidative degradation. There are solutions.

3 Likes

In fact not necessarily. If the degradation concerns trace insaturated fats, it may be hard to detect without some efforts and expertise.

1 Like

Fair enough. Our olfactory system has some very sensitive responses.

1 Like