Maximising the absorption of sub-lingual CBD oil

I know MCT is generally regarded as the best carrier oil for sublingual tincture type products but do people have any preferences for C8 or C10 over general MCT blend?

I’ve come across a study that claims LCT is better than MCT, when used in nano-emulsions created with sonification, and that LMCTs were the best. Does this apply only to nano-emulsions or to general oil as well? LCT was thought to create a stronger delivery because the larger mixed micelles were more stable over time and carried the CBD further. My understanding is sketchy but it seems to be that LCTs form larger mixed micelles which survive digestion longer and may even contribute to bypassing the liver.

Is there an optimal rate of cannabinoids to carrier oil? Some claim that efficiency drops off after a certain point but no studies seen yet.

Sunflower lecithin is also said to help greatly, Myrcene has been claimed to assist travel through the blood brain barrier. Anyone have any opinions or evidence with regards to these claims?

2 Likes

Bump.

I’m surprised no one has much to add to this. Is everyone happy with MCT?

Phosal53 is what you really want if you’re doing coconut oil based emulsions

1 Like

Thanks, not working on emulsions just yet. Refining my basic CBD oil for now, moving to emulsions once that is finalised.

Soybean sourced products not really suitable either. Aiming for coconut based only as many clients dislike soy and palm oil. Looks like a good product though.

I think it was @Shadownaught who suggested hemp lecithin :wink:

Where's that degumming thread, Future?

it also looks like lipoid could whip you up an egg based version for those with soy aversion. or even synthetic for the soy adverse vegans…

http://www.lipoid.com/en/phospholipids

I’m happy with sunflower lecithin for now, it’s been good to me. Considering using straight Phosphatidylcholine (after having looked at Rowan’s suggestion of Phosal53) as Sunflower lecithin only has 15% but there are other things in there that may be helpful. Need to keep the MCT pure coconut source too.

I’m just wondering if C8 is preferable to C8/10/12 mix and what the knowledge about LCTs is. Seems they form larger micelles in an emulsion and can carry the CBD further and may help bypass first pass metabolism more effectively than MCTs. I currently use a blend of LCT/MCT with good results but want to know more about how and why it works so I can make it even better.

The final product needs to be able to bear the labels organic, soy and palm free, GMO free, etc. I like to keep my medicinals as natural as possible.

I’d love to include Krill oil but . . . vegans. I live in a hippy town so such things are a factor for my clients.

1 Like

Hemp would make the hippies happy…:rofl:

2 Likes

Nothing makes the hippies happy, they just get high and forget what they were mad about.

4 Likes

This looks like it may be useful. Bet it shows up in the data dump sooner or later

Edit: