Making use of ice hash process waste

We have a tenant in our facility making ice hash and rosin. I’m watching a huge amount of biomass hitting the garbage bin at around 10-15% THC still in the waste. Is there any viable process to use this for extraction as it comes out of the Ospreys? I was thinking BHO may work but I haven’t found any threads specific to this and if water saturated biomass would release all it’s moisture into the extract or not. Is this at all viable, or any other method for this waste?

Im surprised they’re still in business if 10-15% thc is left behind like that

1 Like

Yes, there are a good number of ways that one could make use of this “waste” product.

Not for long.

2 Likes

Alcohol separation and a Roto vap would do the job …No ?

You’ve got to mean that there’s 10-15% of what was initially there remaining, correct?

For example, 10 lbs of trim is @ 20% thc and they removed like 85-90% of that during extraction leaving you with 10 lbs @ 2-3% THC?

1 Like

Nah, starting at 27 and ending at 12.

Getting 50% on a good day.

would be my reading.

I have an sop for 500 bucks for wet biomass to 79% thc crude

4 Likes

You’d need to deal with a huge amount of water in your eth. We don’t want to buy an eth setup either for just this, as the extraction space is getting far too crowded to bother and production is doing far better for us right now. But, having said that I hate seeing viable biomass hitting the dumpster. 20% waste on pre-roll’s will be coming online soon as well that we will also have. Not a big enough volume for a high throughput eth line just to get a commoditized product in the end… Hydrocarbon seems to make more sense to convert to a retail saleable product far easier.

If they are buying outdoor grown it’s not gonna have the same trichome density that indoor would have, so ya it’s a fairly low yield process. But of course it’s a balance when you consider the input is 1/2-1/3 the price of indoor. Strain makes a big dif as well.

I mean, you’re going to get crude with water in it if you extract it with butane. If you freeze your biomass beforehand and extract as cold as possible you be be able to mitigate most of the moisture but the outcome will be far from sellable in a retail store. Considering you don’t have ethanol or the equipment to postprocess it with, you’ll be left with crude oil as a final product. You COULD color remediate, but if you’re only expecting a 3% yield per rerun, it seems like more effort than its worth (if you’re CRCing and not extracting for distillate). I understand where you’re coming from though, I don’t waste a thing in my lab.

Any way to color remediate, dry off some water in a vac oven for example and get to diamonds? Ultimately i’d like to get to a product vs just disto (which we could still use internally up to a certain volume for our edibles) like diamonds or shatter.

I do have some post equipment, but just rotos, reactors…etc… not high volume stuff like FFE…etc.

1 Like

you stuff it into brick shaped things and ship it to mexico I guess id dry it and make crude? isnt it stronger than hemp?