Making FECO to put into gummy edibles.

I hear so many different ways of making FECO/RSO. But there are so many different uses for it i can understand. I’m wanting to make THC gummies. I made a batch with a simple gummy recipe. Just beef gelatin, honey and fruit juice. I felt the flavor was terrible… but honestly not that big of a deal. Was thinking of boiling my cannabis in water and then drying on low heat before decarbing to help reduce that over powering flavor. I did a freezer wash [im calling it that. ] i froze my decarb cannabis and ever clear. Did a 30 second strip to make green dragon tincture. I’ve heard of a million different times on this. Some say no more then 30 seconds… others say way longer. Im cooking with it… looking for the highest thc levels. Which time frame should i shoot for ? Then i evaporated the alcohol down to an oil. I then combined the oil with my honey. Didn’t work well at all. My oil was in little specks. Each gummie had varying amounts of oil. I hear VG and lecithin should take care of that problem. Should i add a preservative? Why do people put jello in with the gelatin? Id like to make healthy thc gummies. Not really trying to add sugar or koolaid or jello. Any tips? Thanks in advanced

I dont know much about making edibles, but I think you could improve the taste by decarbing after extraction. Do the same cold extraction you are doing, except use non-decarbed bud, then after evaporating off the ethanol, continue heating at around 250-300F until it stops getting frothy and bubbling.

3 Likes

people add jello to mask the off flavors from using poor product. if youre ending up with specks of oil in your final process; short of telling you to go buy some expensive stuff or use products that sound like they move away from your intended product, I would say you need a better blender. Target sells stick blenders from i think Kitchenaid that get decent RPM and work well for emulsifying oils. if youre not going to use something to solubilize your decarbed extract, you need to work fast before the physical emulsion separates. you can also consider using a small amount of carrier oil like MCT in order to lower the viscosity of your FECO and make it easier to blend into the honey. I would suggest that rather than making the honey/feco mix as an intermediary step, add both into your gelatin/fruit juice mixture when it is at a boil and before you begin cooking down the gummy mass and blend in with a stick blender or something else with high shear.

Why not use distilate

3 Likes

If you did a quick wash with -20 ethanol, you should NOT have ended up with “green dragon”.

If you add some dry ice to your recipe, and extract at -40C or -70C you can make a better tasting product.

The colder & faster you perform your extraction, the better your extract will taste, but most dont taste “good” as raw extracts (I’ve run into a couple of exceptions out of hundreds).

Then there is potency. It’s easy to make a good tasting 5mg gummy. It’s very difficult to make a good tasting 500mg gummy. Distillate will get you a decent 100mg, possibly better, assuming it was well made.

Have you seen TheLostBiologist Bucket and Post Processing Tek for Golden Extract ?

6 Likes

You can get away with a really nice decarb oil for gummies, though lots of people will find the oil unpalatable at higher concentrations. One technique is to split oil with distillate. We’ve played around with warmer soaks for bulk infusion oils but found that the super earthy flavor you get with warm run EHO was too off putting for edibles. If you follow my extraction process that @cyclopath linked above and do one solid run for 10 minutes you will get a nice tasty oil. If you run strain specific extractions you can pick up some really nice terps that will go well with edibles. It will still taste like cannabis but it will not have those gross dirt/moss undertones. Still, for gummies and hard candies you’re better off with straight distillate. Edibles like chocolate, brownies, cookies, and peanut butter bites lend themselves to the cannabis oil flavor. Fruitier edibles and especially edibles that stay in the mouth for a while are better with distillate in my experience.

5 Likes

It’s kind of like cooking with spices. Some flavors go well together, and sometimes they clash.

4 Likes

You could try a water cure before extracting. Less technical.

Arthritis_sucks has posted his jello based recipe on IC, preservatives and all. It’s worth a gander for ideas but it isn’t hard to find scratch made.

1 Like