Maintaining Mother Plants

Time frame on keeping a healthy mothers before running into issues? Training techniques on young mothers? Tips for keeping moms longer?

2 Likes

Build an aeroflo.

2 Likes

You can keep moms alive for a long ass time
The key is to not tlwt them get sick, and if they do don’t take any cuts until they are better
Reporting them is important don’t let them get root bound
Google banzai cannabis mothers, basically cut the roots and replant it!!!

5 Likes

Will have to look it up

1 Like

Root Room is your friend.

5 Likes

It’s made by general hydroponics. The rails are 5" vinyl post covers, lowes and home depot sell them.

2 Likes

I went to see profesor Grassi in Italy in his institute.

He grew indoors giganta madre planta in a freaking 5L bowls. I mean the diameter of the plant did come close to the diameter of the stem (a strong elbow width).

They keept falling down as he said, it was his super cropping since he picked them up every day:)

So what I wanted to share from this experience is that the rootmass can be sustained in small pots if your nutrition plan takes into account root rejuventation supplements.

Anyway 3m indoor mother plants in freaking 5L pots…LOL:)nature is amazing

1 Like

A cloner pratice in EU is to have plants from 6-9 months before rejuventation either with prior clonal curtings at 3 months in full vigor,

And ofc micropropagation is being used at times but not common.

I have had plants for years, but after a year or two the vigor dropa drammatically bacause of woody tissue prevalence. A friend still has his orange but from 2005, but he is very strict clonal regime renewing almost every 2 months - 3 months. Plant looks like day one…

2 Likes

Also as long as the plants are healthy, there is nothing saying that genetic drift happens with a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone…as long as it stays healthy doesn’t get root bound then that is absolutely possible

From shantibaba in a treating yourself article years back

“… However the most essential part of keeping a strain(s) going for many years in great health will be this single feature. Mother and father plants used to clone from and to maintain the genetics from are usually grown under artificial lights. To manage the fitness and health of the strain it is essential to cut a clone from the old mother/fathers, root them and grow them under natural sunlight for a period of about 1-2 months then bring them or a clone of them back inside to take over from the old parents as new mother/father plants. This single aspect of growing the plant outside for part of the year will ensure the new parent plants that the clones come from will be virile and strong, instilling a certain level of fitness in the strain. Repeat this year after year and the strain will out live you! My plant library exists since decades this way and they show no sign of deterioration, nor does a single clone coming from them!”

3 Likes

Coco 1 gallon grow the thing to 6 feet no issue

2 Likes

Ive only kept strains a few years. I usually restart from a healthy clone. I am indoor and cant have a giant mom unless its the best ever. I let moms get up to where they are over waist height and huge and then take cuts to continue. I go moms of cloners gear. Gonna load up ICC- dank dense kushlike bud. and BBM- you all know it. And don carlos- YA MON!!! I remember a giant gelato x sour diesel a few years ago taking up my kitchen capi style. Its got alot of windows from all sides.

I like to top as a clone and then continue to top and stress train the taller branches and bend them lower than the lowest node. I think of it as a hybrid method of these few techniques.

2 Likes

im about to take clones off cloners gear= moms are huge and the the horti blue 1k has them rocking to clone off. Under that light they transpire HUGE. They appear powdery mildew free but Ill keep spraying them. I am not sharing or selling cloners gear- hit him up if you want them… Im gonna do the glp style 6 node clone, they work in an aerocloner.