Looks like the FTC isn't messing around anymore. Hemp companies are getting slapped with big fines

Pretty wild to see but honestly surprised it took so long.

16 Likes

Just wait until they start making vendors say if their products are oil-based or water-soluble :joy::dancer:t2::dollar:

3 Likes

That last guy on their list, “Steve’s Goods”… Steve labman?

7 Likes

Steeves Goods (@Stevesgoodsonline) is a member of this site and not steeve whom account hops

In the near future though, this forum will hate stevesgoods too

8 Likes

He is for sure and I feel bad for him. That is a major bummer. Dude is a great guy.

3 Likes

“Many included customer testimonials saying the products cured rare ailments or replaced prescription drugs, including OxyContin”

The real crime here is interfering with big pharma’s profits. Those testimonials may very well have been true, yet bring a fine for the making of false claims. How Orwellian. Ignorance is strength!

6 Likes

This is something that we all have known was coming. I’ve spoken to lawyers who specialize in hemp/cannabis businesses and the one thing they stressed more than anything was “do not make health claims or even hint at health claims.” I remember the advice from one was if someone asks what a cannabinoid does you pretty much just have to tell them to Google it. Can’t even give them a link to an article detailing potential health claims. He said they were not going to have any tolerance whatsoever for trying to skirt around the rules on this one. The only mention of the word “medical” is pretty much saying “this product is not intended to cure or treat medical conditions” in the disclaimer.

4 Likes

They are getting what is deserved, in my opinion. LOL

3 Likes

If you didn’t see the tidal wave coming…

I’m sorry.

1 Like

3chi is double fucked considering the prior settlement with them

7 Likes

People better hope that their customer service departments are in check. Glad we have always been careful about this stuff.

After speaking with him, Steve seems pretty chill about the whole thing

5 Likes

I don’t remember seeing a bunch of unsubstantiated claims on his site…he’s been around forever

Any company willing to sell pesticide distillate… Karma is a bitch

2 Likes

I agree but if you read the letter they state why they put the fine in place. Steve is a good guy I feel bad for him

2 Likes

I’m a shoot first ask questions later kinda guy- yeah should have read before commenting

Yeah, wait till they find out about d8…

1 Like

Stupid question time. Would phrases such as “causes sedation” or “provides a calming effect” be a health claim? I have been looking all over online and can’t find clear cut definitions of what a health claim is, only the parameters that make a health claim qualified. Would these phrases be claiming to cure a disease such as anxiety or insomnia without directly mentionin these diseases? Are we even allowed to mention effects that the product may cause as a warning to consumers? specifically pertaining to d8.

I wanted to include a dosage scale with our delta 8 gummies to educate consumers on how to properly dose delta 8 gummies so people who are new to d8 dont eat 30-50mg and get uncomfortable effects. This list would go in the package when an order is sent out like an instruction guide, it wouldnt be anywhere on the product packaging. I have tried to be as vague as possible, saying light body effects, medium body effects and spaciness at this dose, This dose will cause your eyes to get heavy to the point you cant keep them open to try and potentially get around the health claim side of things.

2 Likes

From FDA.gov:
A “health claim” by definition has two essential components: (1) a substance (whether a food, food component, or dietary ingredient) and (2) a disease or health-related condition. A statement lacking either one of these components does not meet the regulatory definition of a health claim. For example, statements that address a role of dietary patterns or of general categories of foods (e.g., fruits and vegetables) in maintaining good health are considered to be dietary guidance rather than health claims. Dietary guidance statements used on food labels must be truthful and non-misleading.

1 Like

Right i get that but what exactly is a disease in this instance? Would stating that this a product makes you tired be claiming to cure insomnia without directly saying that? Or “promotes restfullness”? I mean how do you explain what the effects will be like to consumers?

I mean if your trying to explain the effects of a cannabinoid would you be making a health claim? Like saying CBG provides a stronger buzz than CBD?

This link explains a health claim being a link between consuming a product and providing good health. What is the basis for good health here?