Looking to rent Analytical HPLC

Dear Sirs,

I am looking to rent an HPLC system for Cannabinoid testing.
System should be something similar to Shimadzu’s LC2030 or Agilent 1100.
Looking to rent a full setup with all parts necessary to run test results (HPLC, monitors, pumps, etc).
Let me know if this is something you guys can do and what the costs will be.
We are renting because we want to try it out first, before making a decision to buy.

2 Likes

Thanks, I made an account on that website.
I received 4 quotes for an Agilent 1100 HPLC. Prices were $34050, $24450, $11650, $10900. All used models. The expensive models are more complete than the cheaper ones, but all of them contain the essential parts of the device.
My question is how reliable are these second hand devices? What is the useful life? How easily do they break down?
Anybody has any experience with this?

Sounds tempting to buy a used one. Just don’t want to waste money on junk.

1 Like

Like a used car, it depends on the previous owner. If they put windshield washer fluid in the transmission by accident… Well… You get the idea.

Previously owned by a large company usually in good shape. Previously owned by a small company, hit or miss. Coming from academia is like buying a rental car.

2 Likes

great analogy!!

You should be able to check with agilent on the service record. our used 1100 came fully refurbished still with the agilent refubish tamper seals on all packaging. and we paid 12k think. it was a great deal!

2 Likes

Good day,
I have experience with Chromatography instrumentation as well as others and know how to provide technical support. Feel free to contact me.
Jlevy@anachrom.tech
Kind regards

I know its not used or a rental, but for the price this is a gamechanger at under $50k

1 Like

unless you have someone knowledgeable on staff; stay away from anything used and NOT under a service contract by the suppler.

Ive referbed some 1100s and it gets expensive real quick; in my honnest opinion it is much easier and safer to purchase a newer contracted machine. Especially if your going to make money with it.

if you want on to just mess around with for internal r&d going used isnt that big of a deal; just plan to budget capital for repairs and upgrades; plan on some significant downtime every once and a while while you wait for parts or are trouble shooting.

if this instrument will be a crux of your operation; dont cheap out; get something new with a service contract itll save you major capital in the long run.

my 2 cents

just realized this is a necro thread xD

4 Likes

I can second the recommendation above by @Nirvana_State , for the ease of use, support and features you cannot go wrong with an SRI 310c. With a built in hydrogen generator, the ONLY consumable you need to keep on hand is acetone. Not only is the device cost effective, the runs are cost effective as well.

2 Likes

the SRIs are hardly analytical systems; more like dead reckoning tools; not accurate enough for me personally. dont get me wrong they are a cool toy to have; but its just that; its a toy.

but then again im a dude with a AB sciex 5500; so i dont mess around

1 Like

Haha saw your edit half way through typing this; was about to say I would love to have an MS at my disposal (and the training to know what I’m doing) but for my price range this is great for my basic in-house r&d for cannabinoid quantification with some caveats based on what I’m looking at ( think unknowns in conversions).

1 Like

imo they are decent for that; for internal validation before sending off for 3rd party validation and COA.

if you just need to get your foot in the door the SRI would be a good route; just take the system results with a grain of salt and understand that its analysis is not absolute(not that any really is)

2 Likes

Thanks for necro posting because it’s an interesting topic!

I’m not gonna lie I’ve been looking at buying a pile of used 1100s for cheap money off eBay and trying to get at least one of them to run. Do they really break in a ton of different and expensive ways?

1100s have been out of service from HP long enough that they no longer make the parts; in many cases, it is possible to get used spares, or third-party. 1100s will be in service for the foreseeable future, 5-10 years minimum. The main constraint is the software: some versions won’t run on anything newer than XP, which has serious limitations including filename length and obvious security problems. If you have your control computer hooked up to the Internet, you’re just begging for viruses. If you don’t have it hooked up, then all your information exchange is either from thumb drives (still a virus risk) or on paper.

OP’s original question: LC 2030 vs. HP 1100. Not really a discussion here: the LC 2030 is still in production (last I checked), HP 1100s are ~20 years old at this point. $30k new instrument vs. $12k used instrument. Then there’s service; a new unit (whether Shimadzu or Agilent, since HP was spun off as its own company in 2000) should have a warranty for the first year. After that- things get pricey when they fall apart. Servicing an older HP 1100 is going to be easier: third-party companies spilling all over each other to fix it, because they’re not cheap… but still more affordable than a brand-new Agilent or Shimadzu.

Shimadzu service has never been good, and it’s no better with the “green rush.” I’ve had Agilent hop on a plane, fly an hour, come in, swap out a main board, and get back on a plane- the day after the service call was put in. Shimadzu is hit-and-miss: sometimes same day, maybe they even have the part, maybe they’re not answering their phone that day because they’re out of town and overwhelmed.

You want analysis and quantitation, particularly for carboxylated forms, you’re going to need HPLC, not a toy GC like SRI. You’re going to need software from the past 10 years. You’re also going to need standards; the big 4 will set you back about $300, the big 10 will set you back around $1000. You’re going to need solvents, solvent storage, the fire rating for storing and handling them, and then disposal when you’re done.

And, as much as the instrument vendors would like you to think otherwise, you’re going to need an experienced analytical chemist, preferably with HPLC experience, that knows how to make a proper calibration curve, and how to run samples. You’ll also need a 4-place balance (3-place is cute and all but if you want any amount of precision, you’re going to need to read to 0.1 mg), and a lab that can support a 0.1 mg balance: vibrations are ubiquitous.

Anyway, if you want to go with used stuff, a working 1100 is just the start of it. The software is probably the more difficult part these days.

1 Like

You can rent the SRI 310MM for about $2000/month.
Half the rental gets credited back to you if you purchase.
The 310MM tests for cannabinoids, terpenes and residual solvents and costs about 15 cents per analysis.
Call 310-214-5092 for more info

1 Like