Looking to get into the industry

Hello everyone who is reading this. I am a medical cannabis patient from Massachusetts, I am trying to become a bud tender or an intern as an extraction tech. I would love to tour a facility or be able to possibly shadow someone for a day and gain a second hand view on what it’s like.

If there’s any recommendations on how I can possibly obtain such a job with ease please let me know. I was considering making a spread sheet of the strains I have tried from dispensaries and the noted effects or making a demo reel of me extracting. I heard that social media and flaunting your skills on IG can gain attention from businesses.

I would appreciate hearing back from anyone who can help me with the steps necessary to obtain a job/career in the cannabis industry.

1 Like

If I was in your position I’d be doing anything possible to increase my skills and networking.

CRC is the number one search term here, followed closely by minor cannabinoids.

Taking one of @murphymurri or @dred_pirate classes would get you in a lab and you’d walk away with an extremely valuable skill.

Shadowing @Krative @kingofthekush420 @anon93688 or any of the other guys on here at the forefront of CBN conversion would be a smart idea too.

However, if you arent an attractive female, I have zero input on the bud tender approach

12 Likes

Have you tried indeed.com?

https://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Cannabis&l=Massachusetts

1 Like

No idea what the market in Mass looks like, are there many dispensaries in your area?

I for one could care less about the physical appearance of a budtender. It’s much more valuable to me to have one that has knowledge of the products they are selling, and honesty is the best policy. I tend to buy higher end products, meaning I sometimes spend a decent bit of cash if you’re selling what I want in a product. The only way I will do that is if the staff is equipped to explain that it is in fact what I want.

Knowing a little bit about the labs and grows that produce something goes a LOOOONG way with me. Knowing roughly what ingredients were used in the grow saves me a lot of reading at your counter, or simply being able to state that nothing synthetic was used, especially sprays. As well as whether it’s indoor, greenhouse, outdoor, hydro, soil, etc.

I’m probably not like most people in this sense, I honestly don’t know. I know I’ve only met a few (3 or 4) good budtenders, according to my standards. I always tip if I feel like you have some knowledge, but, those 3 or 4 were tipped nicely. One or two even steered me towards a better option that was a bit cheaper, simply because they supported the way that company treated them personally when they introduced the brand to the shop employees, and having compared the two after getting samples.

This kinda feels like a rant about how I really dislike what I consider bad budtender at this point, but whatever. Take some pride in your job ffs.

5 Likes

I have multiple classes scheduled, but not announced yet. I am planning on getting one done in the early weeks of January in Maine. I can get in touch with you if you are interested in going that direction.

I have a class scheduled in a week, probably too soon of a notice. But, I have one very close to you in January. Here’s the link to my upcoming class.

If scheduling doesn’t line up for you and @murphymurri has a ckass that fits your needs. Take it. She’s extremely good and knowledgeable. We operate differently, but we both have the same desire at our end result.

@Kingofthekush420 is a very good help, if you are looking to learn a great deal in the distillation department, I would highly recommend him.

5 Likes

Thank You

Didn’t picture you as the type who buys from a store :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Side note, shoot me that schedule ASAP so I can put it up on the GLG event calender

2 Likes

In Denver I was using CO2, and I rarely smoke distillate. The house I was in was not ideal for growing, and I primarily smoke flower. Luckily, the house I just bought is perfect for whatever I’d like to do in it.

Beyond that, I like the storefront being an option to people, so I like to investigate the scope of what that can be like and have an idea what the best version of that is. Lots of people were in the same situation I was in, renting a place that you have to hide whatever you’re doing in because it’s technically still illegal. With where I’m working on going in life, some ridiculous convictions over something I have legal access to seems counterproductive.

1 Like

Hey GOL,

I’m an active member in the Massachusetts Cannabis Industry, I’ve worked in Dispensary operations for the last 6 years at NETA and then Theory Wellness. I recently started a Cannabis Education Center at Holyoke Community College that will be launching classes on exactly that this spring!
The workforce training program is focused at people like yourself who want to get relevant education, internship with a cannabis company locally and get a job. I’d be happy to speak further offline and put you in touch with some additional resources and people to meet in the interim while classes launch after January.

Additionally, I am the NorthEast GLG rep so please don’t hesitate to reach out to me for any further needs locally.

Unfortunately due to MA regulations viewing a facility is a near impossibility unless you work as a contractor or “know a guy”. Most extractors are hired as master extractors and other positions are entry level and trained. Its not uncommon for a highly skilled lab tech to be sent to CO to train on processing and come back and train other staff on that process.

Good Luck!

4 Likes

I initially read i am an attractive member in the Massachutes cannabis comunity and spit my coffee out my nose lmao

3 Likes

My mom thinks i’m pretty cute shrug

4 Likes

Actually Hiring male budtenders is easy af in western Mass because they need to fit diversity quotas and most men apply for “back of the house” positions like cultivation, extraction, and production work.
For most MA current operators they want people who can follow directions. If I were you i’d get a job with your foot in the door and then start networking and growing your skills until you can leap ship and join on as a superior in a newer operation.

3 Likes

Just to be clear i wasnt implying that you were not attractive lol

2 Likes

Budtending is VERY different from production lab work. I would strongly recommend considering which type of working environment you are most interested in while making this decision.

Production work in a lab is generally a very independent position which requires a person to be able to think critically and work alone or work in small teams for most projects. You’ll be wearing PPE all day and be expected to maintain performance goals, often requiring odd hours or long shifts. It’s labor intensive.

Budtending is very social work - you get to wear regular clothes, talk to customers and coworkers all day, and generally work during normal daytime business hours. There’s a lot of compliance and organizational skills required, but ultimately you’ll be supported by a team of other individuals doing the same thing as you throughout the day.

I actually started in this industry as a front desk girl at a dispensary. I thought working with people was my passion. Turns out…I like working alone in a lab even more :heart_eyes:

I teach introductory extraction safety classes once a month in Denver and will be teaching an advanced Live Resin course in Massachusetts in February (final date TBD) I agree with @future4200 that you will want to start learning literally everything you can if lab work is your goal. Joining the Glg is also excellent for networking and identifying reputable companies to work for.

6 Likes

I don’t think @Future needs help getting his foot in the door lol