Looking for support - need equipment

https://gofund.me/baba8c77

My name is Billie and I am an instructor at a community college where I teach a Cannabis extraction course to horticulture students. Our students learn extraction methods used in the past and currently through the Hemp and Cannabis industries. Our students learn about and create FEHO, then create infused products such as a lotion, and a few other products during the semester.

I am looking to improve the course by giving student more hands on time with equipment they will use when they start their new careers in the industry. We are in need of a few items that can not be considered through the college grants till 2025.

The 3 items we are raising money to purchase for the classroom are.

1. Harvest right - Freeze dryer. $3,000

2. Across international 2 liter Short Path distillation unit. $12,000

3. -40 freezer. $800-$1000

1 Like

nevermind

1 Like

Not at all, I teach at a community college in Missouri. The program was opened but they did not consider purchasing equipment but wanted to teach the information. I truly wanted to give more than lectures and tours in this class so I have slowly been gathering items to teach them more, and get hands on time with flower. We have a Low temp heat press, automatic washer, mason jars, alcohol for FEHO extraction, and some other items to help with the flower pressing lab. The students grow their own CBD flower in the cultivation course. They get the opportunity to grow from clones and seeds to watch the process and understand the care we put into it. We then get to use this flower in my extraction course. When the student finish the program they receive a certificate for completing the Cannabis related courses. Our hopes is that this programs gives them more opportunities to pursue their career in the Cannabis Industry.
I have an instagram page I post a lot of our activities on. Instagram- @billiejovoyles

2 Likes

Since you’re working at a school. I thought I might offer these thoughts.

For the freeze dryer - the first one I got from a university sale for $300 - it was a labconco version not a harvest right. But it got the job done. I think it had been used for other food stuffs by an agriculture program before. So you might look there, if none show up soon.

For the shortpath - I did the same thing for my first one. I went to the local chemistry department and asked about their used glassware and heating mantles. I got all I needed except the cold trap that way. So then I didn’t have to spend as much except on the heat trap. There’s also some decent units for quite a bit less on auction / ebay depending on the month.

And there’s currently around 120 freezers of a similar style to what you are thinking available on bidspotter - starting bids are pretty low and some are close to you. I’ve definitely gotten some freezers from the university used parts sale as well. I don’t know what part of missouri you are in but MIZZOU and SLU and UMKC all have these programs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@RuderEquipment

@B.Voyles can you offer a tax deduction certificate for donations?

3 Likes

This kind of post proves a lot of people in this industry have very good heart and are very well intentioned. What I mean by that is, while the industry is falling apart and the supply is almost outpacing the demand driving the prices down and causing countless businesses to go out of business, some people in this industry are willing to pay to teach their future competition how to try to take them out of business as well.
Absolutely awesome good-hearted people are in this industry I just hope that we can weather this storm.

5 Likes

I can sure ask about this, I have not been asked this question yet so I do not want to lie. I do also
have a personal LLC if that helps, I do not do much consulting right now but if there is any thing there I can do to help also please don’t hesitate to ask. I can reach out to our main office on Monday to get an answer about this for you.

Donations to schools are usually tax deductible. If so, you might be able to get businesses to donate equipment in kind. I’d fined out.

3 Likes

I most definitely will!