Looking for some opinions from the professionals

All
I’m looking for some advice on whether or not any hiring managers or business owners would be interested in someone like me for the cannabis industry. I’m 45 and looking to retire from my current profession. I have sold off by business and looking for a new career as i enter the second half of my life. Below is my resume and just looking for some feedback if you would have any interest in hiring someone with my experience. Also I have been growing cannabis for 5 years now as a hobby and thanks to this awesome site I have starting making some extractions with my closed loop.
Jason

Professional Experience

The Arcticom Group
A private equity firm that is merging small local commercial refrigeration companies to form a national company, providing service and installation to national supermarket chains.

Director of Training and Technician Productivity 2019-Present
I sold KIC Refrigeration to the Arcticom group early 2019. I am currently developing and delivering all aspects of supermarket commercial refrigeration training as well as developing methods to account for technician productivity to our entire technician workforce.

KIC Refrigeration 2015-2019
50% Co-Owner of KIC Refrigeration. I’m a substantially accomplished refrigeration professional with years of developing and honing all aspects required to be successful in the field of commercial refrigeration. A critical thinker who applies the A.D.D.I.E. method to reach sustainable permanent results. Trained hundreds of technicians utilizing programs I designed, resulting in successful technician development. I mentored highly competent technicians resulting in new successful technical trainers, whose responsibilities include field service operations, technician development, and customer service.

Sprouts Farmers Market
Sprouts, a chain of specialty grocery stores with over 150 locations in Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Utah. Sprouts stores are smaller than a typical supermarket, focusing on fresh foods, produce, healthy foods and vitamins/supplements.

Facility Engineering Manager 2013-2015
Responsibilities:
• 2 million dollar repair and maintenance budget.
• Manage 76 stores in California and Nevada.
• Manage all capital projects up to $200,000 per location.
Source Refrigeration and HVAC Inc.
Source Refrigeration & HVAC is a market-leader in the design, installation, repair & maintenance, and optimization refrigeration & HVAC systems. Approximately 1,000 field-based service and installation experts serving the daily needs of more than 2,500 customers, nationwide.

Service Training Manager 2010-2013
Responsibilities:
• Develop budget for service training to align with company goals.
• Develop current service technicians to lead classroom lectures and labs.
• Manage 24 service technicians company wide for the “Guardians” Program.
• Design the lesson plans for all levels of technicians.
• Deliver classroom lectures and hands on labs.
• Oversee the testing of all technicians as this is linked to their pay.
• Training department trained over 275 technicians per year.

Senior Service Trainer 2009-2010
Responsibilities:
• Promoted to the training department full time.
• Manage and develop 2 service trainers responsible for lower level classes.
• Teaching the high levels (6-8) of the Company Training Program “Tek-Skills”.

Field Supervisor 2004-2009
Responsibilities:
• Supervise and mentor 5 technicians in the field.
• Provide corrective guidance and formal discipline when needed with Service Manager guidance.
• Regain customer satisfaction when things went wrong.

Training Department 2007
Responsibilities:
• Started as a Service Trainer part time while continuing to perform service work.
• Built training boards and labs to warrant best transfer of knowledge from class to field.

Branch Level Training 2005-2007
Responsibilities:
• Provided training to the technicians in San Diego Branch.
• This was a voluntary non-paid training program for the technicians and attendance was generally 4-6 technicians for 1-2 hours 2 times per month.
• I developed the programs and labs taught in San Diego

New Supermarket Startup and Remodels 2004-2009
Responsibilities:
• Responsible for all aspects of refrigeration and energy optimization from new construction to grand opening
• Inter-personal skills with the other trades that impacted a successful startup.
• Responsible for budget and quality of work measured by reactive service calls after the start up completed or after grand opening.

Refrigeration Rack Quality Control 2004-2009
Responsibilities:
• Check all aspects of the refrigeration rack equipment Source built before shipping to customer.
Test and confirm the following are to engineering specifications:
o Electrical circuits and controls.
o Refrigeration piping including leak checking, valve position and locations.
o Write the Energy Management Programs.

Mt. San Antonio Community College 2010-2013
Responsibilities:
• Adjunct teacher responsible to develop and deliver lectures and labs to meet the California’s Refrigeration and HVAC learning objections.
• Led classrooms of 30+ students.

Pro Heating and Air 1995-2001
A small residential and light commercial HVAC company. Focused on residential new construction installation with a support service department.
• 1995-1997 installation of residential HVAC systems during new construction.
• 1997-1999 Promoted to Foreman
o Managed a crew of 5-10 installers.
o Work with other trades to facilitate proper installations.
o Keep crew on time and under budget.
o Partner with home builder’s superintendent on home specific upgrades
• 1999-2001 Promoted to Service Department
o Repaired all new home HVAC equipment.
o Handle all warranty issues when applicable with equipment manufacturers.

Accomplishments
Developed and Implemented Training to Source Customers 2009
• Facilitated large group presentations on Source training to Key Customers.
• A Prominent customer was impressed with my training program that they hired us to develop and deliver a training course to their in-house technicians’ company wide
• Successfully developed training program for key customer’s in-house maintenance staff using the ADDIE process.
o Analyze customer’s needs
o Develop the learning objections
o Design the lesson plans
o Implement the class to approx. 100+ in-house maintenance staff countrywide
o Evaluate training with customer

Developed and Managed the “Guardians” Program 2011
• The Guardians were the best technicians Source had and they were tasked with administering the “Field Test” of the Tek-Skills Training program. There are 24 Guardians companywide. This was a hands on test in a live store designed to evaluate skills learned in classroom transferred to the field.

Startup Supervisors Program 2010
• Lack of qualified technicians to complete new store refrigeration startups with customer’s timeline.
o Developed “Startup Supervisors” training program.
o Successfully completed work on customer’s timeline.
o Program became a permanent department “Right Start”.

New Hire Training Class 2012
• Source was growing at a rate that they had issues with hiring experienced technicians fast enough so I spearheaded a program to take entry level, little to no experience people and get them ready to enter the workplace. Program was designed to target Veterans returning to civilian life.
• This was a 5 week training course that took the learners from the most basic of theories to building their own refrigeration system by course completion. They also were exposed to a 2 week ride along with experienced technicians in the field. The technicians were measured by written test, hands on test and evaluation form tech they rode along with. Source successfully trained and hired 32 technicians by time I left.

Energy Commissioned 50+ supermarket’s 2006-2009
• Customer had 300+ stores in southern California
o Cost per store $100K
o Total savings in energy dollars year over year $11M
o Costs not captured here are the reduction in “Case Down Time” which resulted in more sales.
o Developed cutting edge energy management computer programs to “Get Maximum Cooling Per Dollar”.

10 Point Checklist 2005
• Quick growth resulted in large hiring of low to no experience technicians
o Field supervisors overwhelmed by phone calls for technical support.
o Created 10 point checklist and delivered “How To Use” class.
o Resulted in increased bottom-line profits, customer and technician satisfaction.
o Adopted and utilized companywide in the “New Hire Manual”

Level 8 technician (highest technician level)
• Achieved the highest level of technical aptitude possible at Source
Refrigeration.

Education
• Temecula Valley High School graduate
• Riverside Community College A.S. Refrigeration and HVAC
• Leadership Development Program Three 2 day sessions
• Situational Leadership 2 day program

1 Like

Hey.

Seems like your technician credentials are applicable. What growing and or extracting experience do you have? Its probably important to include any right at the top.

I know many people that have retired and even quit long term jobs to dive into the industry. If you have business ownership experience what is keeping you from going all in and starting your own company?

I started ground level packaging for our company and have done well. Often times people have an over idealize working in this industry. Its still a job and for the most part you have to take a few steps back to get your foot in the door but once you are in that experience is gold. Some people I know even went and did cannabis specific schooling. I just had a lot of black market practice so it wasn’t necessary for me because I knew once I was in the industry I could work my way to the top quickly.

If you have the dedication and drive its not to hard to work your way past a bunch of stereotypical stoners who thought that industry work was a party and not a job. Not to say there aren’t a lot of hardworking individuals also, but showing up everyday and giving your all makes a big statement.

Best of luck

3 Likes

I would almost look at offering modified environment intermodal reefer boxes for long term product storage.

4 Likes

@TheMaddabber
I’m looking to take my foot off the gas pedal so to speak. I’m not really interested in starting another company especially since I have zero connections in this industry. I would rather be an employee and offer what I have learned over the years while also learning a new profession. I can understand the low work ethics that seem to plague any industry now as everyone whats to be a millionaire by playing video games or being an instagram model haha. It used to be I would find a superstar out of every 10-15 people I hired, but now its like 1 in 25-30 people.

1 Like