Looking for OLCC Ethanol Extractors

why would you distill rosin…

1 Like

Cause it’s really all about what you can sell this week.

3 Likes

Religious reasons? (Just like moon to moon)

Technically you can get to distillate sans solvent via that route.

@Beaker took that route for fun once upon a time.

4 Likes

Solventless distillate is the reason why :joy:

I do what my client says, even if I advise them against it.

So long as I don’t endanger anyone’s lives or safety/health.

3 Likes

is there a noticeable difference in the quality of the distillate going that route?

To the acolytes…

…and yes, without winterization it is probably lower quality. Although distillate itself seems silly these days…

2 Likes

If you were smoking my moon to moon rosin distillate you’d understand.

4 Likes

agreed, distillate does seem silly these days.

don’t know what YOUR definition of “organic” is, but you might ponder this one for a moment if your definition includes “made by a living organism”…

if your search here has not yielded a processor willing to work with you on this, there is also the more direct approach…look at who is actually licensed to process in this state

The idea is that THC is liquid and works better in cartridges vs thca plus you can “clean up” some other undesirables.

I totally :100: get why you’d want to only use ethanol and Especially organic ethanol. This is the safest way and one of the most honorable ways to treat the plant other than solvent-less.

Ethanol is food grade and humans are good at metabolizing it, which is not true for butane, pentane, heptane and other solvents people are using to make extracts. These solvents are great for isolating cannabinoids but that shouldn’t be necessary if the plant is grown organically (without pesticides and synthetics)

Warm soaks increase the chlorophyll and lipids in the extract. Most cannabinoids will come off in a short cold rinse (under 5 mins) , and then you can follow up with a soak to get the rest if you so desire. If done correctly you can achieve a yellow-brown extract with the first cold rinse and the second would be green-black

Also, an ethanol facility has much less regulations and concerns than a hydrocarbon facility or one that uses industrial solvents

Heptane is in the same class as ethanol and can be ran in a type 6 in CA the same way ethanol is so that’s not entirely true

I wouldn’t drink heptane. I don’t even like to work with heptane without a hood

“ While heptane is still toxic and dangerous to humans, it isn’t as toxic as some other chemicals. It can be problematic for the human nervous system and is categorized as a neurotoxic substance. If you get exposed to it, you will experience changes in your perception, followed by mild hallucinations. A person who is exposed to 0.1% of the chemical will feel dizzy for 6 minutes. Higher content will lead to loss of motoric functions and vertigo.”

https://www.simplesolvents.com/simple-solvents-blog/heptane#/

5 Likes

https://www.greatamericaninsurancegroup.com/docs/default-source/loss-prevention/f13826-(3-08)nfpa-classificationsofflammable.pdf

This was just the first resource that popped up on my quick search

This literally has nothing to do with what I replied to

I was correcting you because you’re wrong, never said anything about drinking heptane

Even hexane which is a neurotoxin is GRAS when handled correctly

Hexane does require extra ventilation ans safety measures to be used in a lab setting for extraction, that’s only because it’s a neurotoxin though.

Heptane doesn’t have these regulations which is why you can use it in a type 6 (ethanol facility) in CA

1 Like

This is what I was referring to and my main point with that

Also there are safety requirements that differ between using ethanol and heptane also you CANNOT just pour heptane down the drain. You have to pay to waste, which is a whole other thing

Your point? Neither can ethanol

You do realize most people run ethanol denatured with heptane because of the cost

1 Like

Are you really trying to argue with a chemist that ethanol is worse than heptane? For humans AND the environment?

Yes and Liz is a genius for denaturing ethanol for the community. It was a solution to the taxation on ethanol -as a beverage consumed by humans in bars and restaurants and at home - and made it more cost effective for INDUSTRIAL processors that have the equipment (ppe) and knowledge to property handle and have proper Analytics and techniques to make sure it is not present in the final product.

Edit: I don’t pour ethanol down the drains either (?)

pretty sure the hang-up for organic is always “sustainable means of production”

3 Likes

So if we could haz landfills make butane rather than methane they be good?

So long as it was “selected for” rather than “engineered”?

Make dumpster fires more entertaining too

:rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes