Looking for low budget vacuum pump for SPD

Hello all,

This is my current vacuum. I don’t believe it is going to cut it for SPD. I have been using it for vacuum filtration and vac distillation of some crude chloroform extract (plan on posting pics of that process, wound up with super thick black tar).

Fisher Scientific MaximaDry PU1308-N820.0-9.01 Diaphragm Vacuum Pump
https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/fisher-scientific-maximadry-oil-free-vacuum-pumps-one-stage-2/p-313578

Some of the options I have been looking at so far is
This is perfect for my budget, but I am not sure if the CFM will be an issue
Precision DD-20 Vacuum Pump 0.7 CFM 20 l/m 5 Micron

This one is quite a bit higher than what I was looking to pay but it seems to be what the most commonly recommended option for budget-minded folks like myself. I am trying to figure out the fittings on this thing.
Pfeiffer Alcatel Adixen 2021I Vacuum Pump Red

Can I stick with the pump I have, or just bite the bullet and get the Alcatel? Also, I currently have an analog pressure gauge on my system that reads 0–30 in Hg. What options are there that won’t break the bank?

Grab a used Alcatel 202I, you can get them off eBay used for a couple hundred dollars

2 Likes

Thats not even 1cfm, it might get low enough but its reeaaally slow. Get an alcarel 2021i or if you can find edwards thats with in tour budget

it saus best offer offer something low and tou can always negotiate from thrre

2 Likes

Thanks all,

I have the alcarel 2021i in hand, ordered all the KF-025 fittings. Most glassware is in hand, few items enroute.

The pump STINKS like some horrible chemical. I would like to fully purge and clean this out.

Any recomendations on oil? I am reading the threads on oil but there does not seem to be a firm consensous. Also any thoughts on kerosene vs pump flushing fluid?

Thanks all!

I would fill it with oil run it with the ballast open and then drain. See where that gets you, tou can also just take out four bolts and take the from case off and clean with a brush and etho everything tou can reach. I wouldn’t recommend the kerosene especially since alcatel’s have a plastic sight glass. Get flushing fluid, thats what i do just to be safe other than filling it with warm etho

2 Likes

See what micron it pulls to once its warmed up and blanked off. If it pulls to 1 micron you might do more damage than good teying to het rid of the smell. Most of the used alcatels are used for some process involving hydrogen peroxide. Take off the ballast cord screw and run it wirh ballast open and intake open for an hour then change fluid and see what micron your at

Automatic transmission fluid works to clean out the pump real well. Just add a bit to the oil and run for an hour blanked off or til it heats up and then empty the oil while it’s hot, dry run it for approximately 2-3 seconds then remove the regulator from the end and take off the housing. Clean everything you can with a wire brush and some atf then scrub it all down with a toothbrush. Refill with oil and then run for 30 mins til hot, and repeat once more. That will clean it out extremely well, eliminate any smells.

2 Likes

Will do, I have an yellowjacket enroute. Just bought off ebay today. Also need to get the KF25 fittings

Thank you!!!.

I was look at this for oil (grade 19 is what I should shoot for I think)

This for flush oil

Will do, I need to get fittings and oil first though

I didn’t read the whole thread

A welch 1400 is a good starter, just make sure youre checking and changing oil regularly. That was my first pump and I’ve hit as low as 66 micron.

thanks norcal, I already pulled the trigger and have an acetal. Thanks though!

1 Like

Buy inland. The other white label garbage is import trash.

2 Likes

Hey everyone
I am trying to get ready for the first spd run
I am currently flushing and cleaning my vacuum pump (adixen pascal 2021i)
I have a yellow jacket vacuum gauge hooked up and it’s reading 2760 @ full vacuum
Is this good . I’m a little confused on what my gauge says
If someone can help me clarify
Thanks good vibes

2760 microns? Should be like 5 or 6 microns (or less) with that pump and fresh oil. Idk which unit of measurement your gauge reads in but even with gas ballast open that’s way too high. Sending dm.

2 Likes