looking for info on distillation to isolate

I’m looking for any info I can get to find out how to turn CBD distillate, to isolate. I have 7 liters of distillate and would like to turn it into isolate. I have basic knowledge of CBD isolate just need a basic sop. if anyone could help I would be VERY appreciative. or lead me in the right direction.

2:1 pentane:oleoresin

Dissolve distillate into boiling pentane. Place in freezer to precipitate crystals. Pour off remaining liquid, dig out the crystals. Dry crystals in vac oven.

9 Likes

temp of pentane? how long in freezer ? save pour off liquid or throw out heard you keep to re crystalize ?

Time in freezer is dependent on volume and temperature. Save the liquid, it’s full of cannabinoids, do with it whatever you wish.

1 Like

We heat the distillate to around 40C, slowly add the pentane and making sure it dissolves the pentane. We only do about a 1.6:1 Pentane to distillate ratio, not 2:1. We seal the vessel, and let it sit in room temp water to cool down. After reaching room temp, we shake it and slowly cool it, repeatedly shaking. No reason to go to cryo temps or ultra cold. -10C is enough for us to crash out most of the CBD at that pentane ratio, as long as the distillate is >80% CBD.

5 Likes

super helpful thank you. how long do you let the pentane ,distillate ratio mix? and when do you know all the cbd has crashed, how long average in -10c? again ty

As soon as it looks homogenous, it is sufficiently diluted. With repeated shaking/agitation, you’ll see CBD crystals crashing out within 20 minutes of cooling. We keep shaking it and chilling it for about 24 hours before separating the crystals out. We also keep some chilled pentane in the freezer, so when we vac filter off the mother liquor, we can further rinse the crystals with more clean cold pentane.

1 Like

im sorry so many questions. vac filter mother liquor? so pour off the whole crystal solution in Buchner then pour -10 pentane over ? can you re soak mother liquor to get more isolate out or do you only do saturation once. and can you keep washing with cold pentane to get cleaner product or do you take crystals and re saturate?

You can try to crash more CBD out of the mother liquor, but it usually yields little to nothing for us at those parameters. Tests around 10-20% CBD remaining in the mother liquor.

Sometimes there is a need to take the crystals and redissolve in fresh pentane and recrystalize, but this is dependent upon how clean the distillate is, which is also dependent on how clean the crude was to start with. If the CBD crystals look white and don’t have a funky organic smell, we just rinse it a bit with cold pentane. If it is off color or smells bad, we will recrystalize.

1 Like

what should I be looking at on return wise from each liter on average its 2nd pass but no tests

Depends on your CBD%, but I’ve seen >60% yields, and I have seen some dismal numbers also.

so from 7 liter 4kg I should be happy?

Once again, depends on how much total CBD is in the starting material, but yea, those numbers are possible.

1 Like

heading to lab now thank you for everything lets see how this goes…

2 Likes