Looking for help on crystallizing thca

We have thca that has 85% thca and 2% d9 in it we need to get it below .3
Have tried a few methods to recrystallize it to remove the d9 but unsuccessfully been able to get it to recrystallize

Also searching for bulk amounts of thca under .3 d9

1 Like

You can’t crystalize d9thc. Once it decarboxylates you would have to recarboxylate to d9thca for it to be crystal form.

What’s the form of the material? Isolate? Diamonds?

Picture?

1 Like

It is isolate we are trying to recrystallize the thca to remove the d9

Just to be clear, you have THCa isolate that you’ve already dissolved into your solvent of choice to facilitate crystallization? And in that solution, the target isn’t isolating? If so, what solvent are you using and what ratio of solvent:isolate did you use? How long has it been in solution? What other parameters can you share with us, atmospheric or oven temp, etc etc.

You also mentioned “a few methods to recrystallize”, what have you already tried so we can scratch those out.

2 Likes

I’m with the op. The product we have isn’t quite an isolate but it is a white powder. We’ve tried mixing it with a few different ratios of pentane and butane. 1:1 1:2 thca to solvent. It is a fairly dark oil when melted in. We have let it sit in 105f temp overnight, room temp overnight and in freezing temps overnight. I’m also wondering if we can take frozen pentane and rinse the d9 thc out with minimal losses.

The product we have isn’t quite an isolate but it is a white powder. We’ve tried mixing it with a few different ratios of pentane and butane. 1:1 1:2 thca to solvent. It is a fairly dark oil when melted in. We have let it sit in 105f temp overnight, room temp overnight and in freezing temps overnight. I’m also wondering if we can take frozen pentane and rinse the d9 thc out with minimal losses.

THC doesn’t crystalize under the same conditions that THCA does.

So if you’ve got THC in your crystal lattice, it’s a contaminant.

Recrystallization done with very careful control of your crystalization parameters should allow you to exclude the undesirables and then wash away any that stick to the outside.

First, pull out your solubility curve for the solvent and solute for the compound you’re working with. Don’t have one? Make one. Or pay someone to do so, or to provide you with theirs.

Next, do a long and slow temperature swing crystalization, staying within the metastable zone once first nucleation is observed.

You should get quite high purity crystals at the end of it, likely very fine like sand.

Finally, once you’ve excluded the undesirables, if you want big rocks, you can then re-crystalize the pure crystals again using your standard parameters to get your desired final physical form.

12 Likes

Superb response sir!!

@Wagner416 @Colt, if there are words there that don’t make sense, the resources you need to change that are at your fingertips.

Including the ability to buy the problem solved should you need to get from a to b in a hurry.

And speaking of hurry…how long did you expect this to take? You do understand that slow evaporation of solvent is key? Did you allow for any?

My group has a method we can consult on for the crystallization of THCA. It’s not the kind of procedure that takes a week… you start and finish the crystallization in a single day/shift. Let me know if you’re interested in learning more.

3 Likes

If you’re planning on doing this on a regular basis, I suggest you take @eyeworm up on their offer.

1 Like

LMFAO

I have thca I need to get through a loophole but can’t because of this pesky D9

God I wish I could go sit down at the head of the FDAs desk tomorrow for 5 minutes.

Just cuz you think you can sell it in a store now under YOUR interpretation of the farm bill doesn’t mean they can’t charge you for it later. Especially if it’s how it’s run like real businesses with invoices and digital payments to track.

2 Likes

Yeah man, totally do that I wonder what you’re actually qualified to do since you don’t seem to be ever doing it.

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure this part sunk in.

You’re not alone in your interpretation of the rules…I personally find that particular interpretation to be in the fanciful to delusional range, but that’s only my opinion.

There is certainly money to be made before clarity on the subject is established in the courts or legislature

ThcA diamonds resources

The clarity could be

“Thca is thc and you have been breaking federal law for 7 years”

2 Likes

That would be my expectation…

3 Likes

Completely agree with you and @Extractionperson2.0 - compliance matters.

I learned this the hard way recently, and it cost me a LOT of money.

If you play with compliance fire, you will eventually get burned (badly).

1 Like

yes please