Looking for help with gelatin-pectin hybrid gummy recipe/SOP

I know a couple folx out there are doing hybrid gummies, for various reasons. anyone care to share some knowledge? I’ve been making gelatin gummies for a while now and have been working on a hybrid gummy to help with heat resistance.
Also looking for recommendations on pectins to use. I have PP hm-100 and a hm pectin from modernist pantry/kitchen Alchemy, Refractometer should be here today. Additionally, I am hoping to be able to run these through a depositor as well, so slow controlled set is optimal(should I consider an LM Pectin for this?) Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

1 Like

Which of the threads on the subject have you found most useful so far? You might have more luck asking questions on the active threads.

@darkcitymolds can save you some time and sell you an SOP if you need to get going fast.

@MillerliteRN is an excellent resource (lots of international given for free all over the forum) and he’s available for consulting as well.

@Kingofthekush420 might have some thoughts about the hybrid gummies.

Good luck!

1 Like

There’s a great deal of info in the first one, I’ve been through that one multiple times and it has been a great help in making gelatin and pectin gummies, but I don’t see anything about hybrids, apart from a couple people selling an SOP.

If you need help with a full pectin sop hmu i use hm 100 and do 3k piece batches using a depositor without a problem

8 Likes

They seem to be fairly incompatible for the most part, gelatin likes to sweat at low pH

You might be able to find the sweet spot with some trial and error, I’d just try starch in addition to the gelatin personally

2 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 thanks! I’ll reach out!
@pdxcanna Thanks for weighing in. I know @MillerliteRN among others makes a nice looking(havent tried them personally) hybrid gummy,so it’s definitely doable. So That’s really where I am now, and hoping for some guidance with a good starting recipe percentage. Like should I Start with a solid pectin sop and add gelatin at the end on top of that vs. omitting an amount of pectin and using enough gelatin to make up for that? Or build a gelatin recipe and fortify that with a small amount of pectin, Or just use starch…LOL…

Our Hybrid gummies get bagged up the next day. Molded and placed in refrigerator overnight and bagged the next day. Zero sweating. No drying room time required. It’s very simple to achieve, you just have to put a little time into figuring it out. Or you could always throw some money at the problem, to get there sooner. But pdxcanna is correct about the pH and how gelatin acts. Ask yourself “What makes the gummy sweat and are there any alternative solutions?”

My favorite gelatin recipe has pectin and starch added to it.

3 Likes