looking for advice on Custom wiped film evaporator build

I Don’t have that size on the shelf.If you want anything made send me a drawing, or if its an iso part spec it.

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::call_me_hand::facepunch:

It was a total rebuild I purchased on eBay and the seller claimed it was tested down to 6micron I’m at 8

2 Likes

8 micron seems pretty good on an ebay 2021 i think ive seen them get down slightly lower but thats not bad. see how the vac holds overnight like @Soxhlet metnioned and keep us posted

2 Likes

Did not mention this but I removed the ball valves too before testing it gonna put them back on but I noticed a slight drop when I took em off so I figured they leaked a bit

Probably, never could get a normal valve to hold crazy vacuum.

For now it means starting and stopping runs inbetween collection flask swaps but I’ll just get some big big boys for it and run as long - I don’t want to use a glass valve cause it’ll flow too slowly thru those tiny ports

1 Like

How are you going to go about the wipers? This is so inspirational🙏!! going to be my next project. Root sciences uses some nice gear pumps with dan foss vfds for continuous operation they work really well.

1 Like

I believe its just the VFDs on VTA units that are Danfoss,not the pump, but i could be wrong. I wouldnt be surprised if VTA machines their own gear pump (at least the pump heads that match the rotalux glass fittings they use). Im certain Chemtech uses Mahr type metering (spinner type) pumps. Finding suitable metering pumps for low flow rates around 1L/hr is more difficult than something for 10L/hr. And managing viscous drag effects is key here. Beaker/Wrench makes the best peristaltic dosing pumps if ya dont like gear type. (Pros/cons to each) I think Pope offers Liqui-flo metering pumps (which i hear good/bad about for this application). For example: I had to resort to a VFD controlled pump with gear reducer to make my supplier’s pump work at the low flow side of things. (thats due to the constraints of my supplier)
For just dispensing from vac to atm, ive been wanting to play with some of those adhesive melt dispensing valves (Mahr makes some) They seem like they could work, but they’re not 3A “sanitary” ( but can spec em in 316SS )

2 Likes

Custom stainless fabricated by a local welding instructor - Teflon blades with 45degree notches for the corkscrew.

2 Likes

So how did all of this end up working out for you? Have you been able to successfully distill cannabinoids with it? Or has it only been used for ethanol recovery?

1 Like

I got real busy with isomerization and synthesis projects and due to fact that I won a really nice glass head I’ve been playing with short paths a lot- super is still in the works just shelves for now.

I have engineering ADD- too many projects and not enough help.

On vacation working for DPW of burning man- pretty much destroyed my mind and body at this point but it’s a great way to get inspiration to build giant beautiful things.

3 Likes

mmm…drunk people welding and :fire:

always inspirational :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

That’s awesome, I was thinking about trying this out myself but it seems like a labor of love, I was searching the internet fairly hard trying to find one of those glass internal condensers that were posted in this thread and no luck so far.

I would LOVE to know what stir bearing you are using for the wiper shaft !!

Ferrofluidic shaft seal

Mag-coupled shaft seals are dope, but have torque and temp limitations and can be rather pricey or unfeasible as you scale. They certainly can work for smaller WFE units within the common operating conditions folks in our industry have been running under.
A double mechanical shaft seal is another option, as well as some single mechanical seal designs as well. Both have more maintenance requirements than mag-couplings, but scale easier and can have less temp,power and torque limitations. FlowServe, EagleBurgman, JohnCrane are all good USA brands. There are some Chinese and Korean vendors whos mech seals can be purchased at a fraction of the cost and in my experience provide the best value.

Temp limitations? I was under the impression that ferrofluid seals were routinely run at temps exceeding 1000c and have great torque handling capacities- I’ve not run any past a few hundred C but have not seen any issues so far running continuously for weeks on end

1 Like

Seems like we’re not comparing apples to apples: Ferrofluid seal vs “magnetic coupling”…

Mag coupled obviates the need for a seal.

vs a ferro-fluid seal. were the seal IS magnets.

5 Likes

ooo damn good point, I assumed they were the same Looks like need to do some googling

1 Like