looking for advice on Custom wiped film evaporator build

If you can deal with a 2-d free cad look up draftsight. It’s a carbon copy of AutoCAD.

I have access to autocad free thru my welder friends school account- autocad gives anyone enrolled in a tech school full access for free :wink:

I had a free student license as early as 9th grade.
I’m not enrolled in any school now, but my license is still valid.

I’m a professional draftsman. If you have questions, need anything drawn up or looked at, let me know. I’m not going to charge you a dime. I have Inventor and a large machine shop.

2 Likes

You should download draftsight anyway. It’s made by the same company as solidworks and Catia. But it’s a free 2d carbon copy of AutoCAD

4 Likes

Well- this Happened.

I’m running an Alcatel 2021i 14cfm pump and hitting 3.9-4torr empty and cold.
This is clearly not enough vac for distillation but I am wondering if this means that there are leaks throughout the system- can anyone on here advise?

I have an Edwards diffstack 63/150m diffusion pump ready to install but I have never run a diffusion pump and still need to learn how to set it up- seeking advice on that as well.

The internal condenser is being fabricated next but I’m pretty sure this will function well as a falling film for solvent recovery as is, I may fabricate a small wiper to distribute the tincture evenly throughout the condenser channels.

you have a 100mm flange? We make a cap for hanging the diffstak pumps from the flange.
Whats your drive assembly? I would say its that ball valve, or the drive assy leaking. Get some valves raited for high vacuum
Have you performed a He leak test? Check your welds for pinholes too!

3 Likes

Vac leaks can be hard to track down.

Most of them will also leak under positive pressure (reverse is not true)…so pressurizing the system and using soapy water should allow you to find most if not all of your leaks.

then you return to sucking & can use He to test if it doesn’t hold.

You can certainly prove it’s leaking simply by turning off the pump and watching system pressure…

1 Like

Drive assembly is a ferrofluidic seal rated for deep vac so it should be tight- it’s probably the weld work as it was done by someone who I ended up canning due to terrible performance. I was hoping that top assy would hold up.

I was thinking it was either the ball valves (there are two) or the welds.

1 Like

That cap looks great I believe it is a 100mm but I’ll double check- what’s the purpose? Totally unfamiliar with this pumps operation. I figured it needed something cause the seller shipped it to me covered in aluminum foil- I don’t even know what kind of flange this is

got a pic? Helium test the ball valves, thats probably the culprit.

1 Like

24/40 adapter for scale

1 Like

the top flange should be 6.5 inches across if its a 100mm pump
you need this seal

1 Like

It takes an ISO-63 seal

1 Like

When you get that vac leak sorted, put a cold trap on there (obviously?) and run your residual volatile/terpene pass with the cone on there and run it hot and fast. It’s much more efficient than running it with the internal condenser in. You’ll have to do your decarb under vac, and pull the bulk of your terpenes during decarb. Your first pass/stripping run will go wayyyy faster and make for a nice efficient distillate pass.

Sweet thanks for that! Vac issue is the cf flange- I need to torque that thing all the way down HARD to bite thru the copper ring seal

5 1/8th inch across

1 Like

Fuck yeah we’re riding this rocket into the sunset.

It’s still dropping I just wanted a pic- down to .009 still pumping down… .007… I’m so fuckin happy right now.

7 Likes

Seems to have bottomed out at .007 - .008 I’m assuming the diffusion pump will take us the rest of the way home?

3 Likes

Whats your pumps lowest raiting for vac? See if you can acheive close to the value, then blank off the system and vac test overnight. If your good to go the diff will take you all the way.