Looking at a new rotovap what is bad with this?

So i won a $5000 credit with Across international. Ive always wanted to add a rotovap to the pieces of equipment ive owned. I have a welch diapham pump and wanted to use dry ice as its pretty cheap for me to buy and i dont plan to really use it all that often.

this is what i was looking at

let me know what you think? im open for suggestions on how else to spend the money. Across International kicks ass. Their scavenger hunt took like 45 mins and now i have $5000 to spend. Good Karma for sure!!!

10 Likes

That will work for sure and if you need it grab it. Congrats on the win!!

3 Likes

Dry ice for what? We ran out 5-50L rotos on buckets of ice water.

1 Like

I’ve used tap water on my 5l.

1 Like

so just run tap water and get the cheaper one???Sure i can rig a pump to a bucket of ice water and keep it topped off

2 Likes

Yup, save runoff for plants. Or the bucket tek with a pump and LOTS of ice.

1 Like

Yeah we would go through 40lbs of ice running 10+ hour days

Get a high powered magnetic drive fishtank pump (they have npt openings) and use that with freezing super saline. Get a 5 gal bucket mark where the tubing hits the bucket from the roto and pour two lbs of mortons iodized salt or course sea salt into the bucket. then add water a little below the line you made. Add dry ice to the salt water and start stirring it with a straining spoon until it turns yellow. Be sure to have a towel under the bucket or do this outside because there will be back splash. I use about 5-6 lbs of dry ice in my super saline. I don’t have to top it off during my run.

After the freezing cold super saline mixture has stopped bubbling start using with roto and enjoy!

ALSO DON’T FORGET TO GET A 24/40 ADAPTER FOR YOUR ROTO!!!

2 Likes

And yes get the cheaper one with a normal condesor.
If yyou do saline solution expect to blow through significantly more ice. That is not needed it doesnt need to be that cold

1 Like

I have a convenience store 100 yards from my front door…and ive done a lot of saline baths with transfering solvents

1 Like

If your getting the cheaper option see if you can scoop some extras like a precoil. And please God make sure its a constant feed model. You dont want to break the flask to refill

1 Like

Not really. I’ve used regular ice and salt in my 5 gal bucket and it’s total ass! The condenser gets hot after about 20 mins. I use 5 lbs of dry ice to make a freezing super saline solution and I get results that make me smile.

the one i posted had a material feed port which i assume is for a constant feed??

I didnt see it on the 2L which is why im leaning more towards the 5L

Ya i didnt realize you said di.

https://www.amazon.com/Danner-Mag-Drive-Supreme-1800-Pump/dp/B000O1N31I

2 Likes

The one you posted is constant feed.

1 Like

yeah…i noticed the 2L ones didnt have that option so i figured the 5L was the better buy

2 Likes

I would still run a 5l bare minimum. General rule is your roto is twice your spd capacity.

4 Likes

I just learned something new today

1 Like

so stoked…been wanting a roto instead of the water distillers. Now i can use cooler chemicals…hahaha

2 Likes