Locking or normally closed large beaker tongs similar to test tube tongs?

Anyone know of any tongs that are normally closed or lock closed similar to test tube tongs but much larger for like Liter glass beakers and bottles?

Hi,
what are you trying to accomplish with this set up? Have you looked at chain clamps, rings, or three fingered clamps for fixturing glassware together?

you can clamp these to a frame, or you could use ring stands if you want something more portable.

If it was me I would hold the bottle by the neck with a three fingered clamp and support it with a ring underneath. If your extra paranoid throw the chain clamp on there too lol.

I’m hoping to find something like the size of large beaker tongs but operate like a locking vise grip or a test tube tong that basically stay closed and clamped against the test tube until you squeeze the handles to release.

31SLFZTqKpL

2 Likes

We’re pulling 250-1000ml beakers and media bottles from hot water baths and microwaves. Oven or bbq rated gloves and mits a combersome and get covered in gooey distillate and concentrates after a very short time. This makes using them a real pita. Tongs would be much easier to keep clean and easier for accurate pours.

gloves

4 Likes

Already been done it’s just not the best solution for us. tongs would be better if they were made how I’m thinking

1 Like

He uses DeLIcaTe woMAn HaNDs

2 Likes

Only real trappers know

3 Likes

They make locking claw grabbers/hot fingers for glass blowing. Not sure they would be very practical for pouring though.

2 Likes

At least I’m not.doing the work anymore :rofl:

1 Like

Searching for locking crucible tongs got me here

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/fisherbrand-deluxe-beaker-tongs-fiberglas-covered-jaws/02622

And

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/fisherbrand-julian-style-crucible-tongs/15210

4 Likes

I think I even saw that first pair on ebay! Thanks

Spark plug wire boot covers work great if anyone wants to add their own fiberglass sleeve to a pair of tongs. You can grab them cheap at your local auto parts store.

2 Likes

do you want a vice grip with some tong ends welded to it, if so im game!

3 Likes