LLE on CBGa Crude

i’ve hit the search bar for a while now and i havent seen specifics for LLE with CBGa crude. My client had previously wanted me to create CBG isolate and i figured out a nice SOP to crash it out. This year he has asked me to have CBGa isolate. so, my plan is to cold extract with eth then do some LLE post proc. to make my crystalization easier. my problem is i’m not for sure which solvent to choose for the LLE. Never made CBGa before, i have pentane, hexane, methanol, ethanol, heptane and of course distilled water.

have any of you guys worked with CBGa and which solvents or mixture of solvents did you choose for your LLE? What temp did you max out in your roto vap? vac depth? how did you keep the CBGa from completely turning your flask into a space crystal orb haha?

1 Like

Can you suspend cbg in heptane/hexane without it recrystallizing the cbg? If so I would start with the classic heptane/water LLE on small scale

1 Like

thats my first experiment. i’ve got about 500 something pounds of his biomass and its in a warehouse tied tight at 65 degrees. so i have enough to take a liter of his crude and play around with it. He also is aware if i cant get the CBGa to crash perfectly then go with plan B and make CBG isolate.

gonna mix the crude in heptane distilled water 1:1:1 see how it works out.

may be a stupid question but should i avoid the baking soda wash? would it have an affect on my CBGa?

1 Like

I would start by suspending in heptane 5:1 and looking to see how much stuff crashes out just from that. You might crash out a ton of sugars and polar garbage just by putting it into heptane. You can filter that stuff out if that happens.

From there, I would either LLE or run it through a powder from chemtek or carbonchemistry to remove the polar contamination. Then rotovap and maybe it would crash.

3 Likes

See also: Minimizing decarb of CBGa in etoh during solvent recovery

1 Like