Live Streaming Video on the Forum

@Sidco_Cat mentioned I should bring this up with you @sidco so that we can stream the panel discussions at the GLG event on Tuesday.

What would be the best approach?

2 Likes

OBS to youtube, back it up on vimeo or some other platform that’s not as restrictive(and privately)

3 Likes

She made it sound like there might be a more direct route, could be wrong though

Self hosted streaming is doable, but why destroy your resources when platforms built to handle it offer the service.

I agree OBS is a great tool to setup. You can embed youtube potentially here.

2 Likes

I think it can be configured to stream to most anything :man_shrugging:

My paid server let me stream and have 3 people video conference for a solid hour no issues, but more I’m sure would pound it. Using completely open source tools.

2 Likes

OBS (Or any program/app that can ‘stream RTSP’). I have an https://owncast.online server that can handle ~200 viewers with 1 streamer. The video can be saved, and even recast to something like youtube as mentioned. How many viewers are we thinking might show?

I just give you a key, and a url to stream to and you push start. I would put it up on stream.future4200.com or similar.

6 Likes

Wahlah do that.

When it exceeds 200 you can go from there…

2 Likes

I think OBS through YouTube would be the best or also we can have discord which is pretty good in live stream of events or groups.

We should definitely get a stream system setup, even if that is via youtube. I used OBS and a beastly server and ended up capping the 1gbps internet with about 50 users (~20mbps/user). I can try again with another hosting service with a higher throughput (10gbps would get us 500 streams and cover us I suppose?) but I havent done enough research to make this cost effective since we only would stream certain sporadic events. Youtube or another RTSP service is likely in order vs a homeroll. (I could probably do a better job getting the streams down to 5-10mbps vs 20 which seems way to high, set a higher delay, spend more processing power on optimizing the stream before it goes out which means a higher delay)

1 Like